About Advancing Philanthropy
A true member benefit:
- Published bi-monthly by the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Advancing Philanthropy is the idea and strategy magazine for fundraisers in all sectors.
- With detailed reports and analyses of current trends, Advancing Philanthropy educates, informs and challenges the entire development community. Every issue gives readers comprehensive information on how to do their jobs better - practical applications and how-to articles, new research, interviews with generous donors, and tips and ideas from peers in the fundraising profession.
- Advancing Philanthropy keeps members informed of the association's activities and highlights opportunities for volunteer leadership, advocacy and professional development. By providing practical information, useful tools and other resources, Advancing Philanthropy helps AFP members succeed and advance the fundraising profession.
Feature stories, columns, departments and sections provide real-world solutions to everyday problems:
- Feature stories - Full of research, opinions, interviews and resources, these are a "big picture" look at specific topics of interest to readers, from what works in direct response and communicating effectively, to ethics and successful strategic planning with a large - or small - budget and staff.
- Chair's Message - Commentary from AFP's current chair, as well as news and upcoming AFP events, keep fundraisers up-to-date on significant issues affecting the philanthropic sector.
- President's Report - AFP President and CEO Paulette V. Maehara, CFRE, CAE, shares her unique perspective on AFP happenings and current industry news.
- Headlines - From the first-ever International Fundraising Summit and current research reports, to public policy legislation with a far-reaching impact on development, "Headlines" provides the news updates you need.
- Letters - Plain-spoken exchanges are the lifeblood of any community - and publication - and readers take this opportunity to share opinions, comments, kudos and questions with their peers.
- Technology - From state-of-the-art software to the simplest cell phone, technology is an essential part of any fundraiser's life. The ways fundraisers make the most of that technology, however, are almost limitless.
- The Donor's Turn - What makes donors give? What do contributors look for when choosing nonprofits to support? Development professionals can learn a lot from interviews with well-known contributors as well as quiet "community angels." This section profiles the individuals who make a difference through generous giving - of time, resources and money.
- Management File - Useful tips, resources and information help development professionals overcome everyday management and work challenges, and better manage and develop their working lives. Some articles explore management behavioral issues and dilemmas that fundraisers confront daily, and help them do the right thing not only for the good of their nonprofit organizations, but also for the profession as a whole. Plus, AFP members review books on the industry.
- What's Working - Who knows better about what's working in philanthropy than members of the development community? Fundraising professionals share their tips, ideas and success stories with their peers - readers of Advancing Philanthropy!
- AP Resources - Get a look at new products, services and information resources for nonprofit and development professionals.
- AFP Central - This is your guide to AFP, including an events calendar, chapter profiles and general association news.
- One-on-One - The last page of the magazine profiles a successful development professional who gives his or her unique perspective on fundraising and offers advice to other practitioners.
All AFP members automatically receive Advancing Philanthropy as a member benefit when they join the association. For information on nonmember subscriptions for individuals and institutions, or for an AFP member extra subscription, visit How to Subscribe to Advancing Philanthropy or call (800) 666-3863.