About Advancing Philanthropy
A true member benefit:
- Published quarterly by the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Advancing Philanthropy is the idea and strategy magazine for fundraisers in all sectors.
- With detailed reports and analyses of current trends, Advancing Philanthropy educates, informs and challenges the entire development community. Every issue gives readers comprehensive information on how to do their jobs better—practical applications and how-to articles, new research, career advice and tips and ideas from peers in the fundraising profession.
- By providing practical information, useful tools and other resources, Advancing Philanthropy helps AFP members succeed and advance the fundraising profession.
Articles provide real-world solutions to everyday problems:
- Cover story and features. Each issue has a cover story—full of research, opinions, interviews and resources. These are the “big picture” views of specific topics of interest to readers. Feature articles in Advancing Philanthropy are in-depth, hard-hitting and probing reports geared toward the philanthropic sector and profession.
- Gift planning. Bequests, endowments and other planned-gift vehicles—part of donors’ long-term plans—are critical to nonprofit organizations and what they will accomplish in the future.
- Prospect development. Where will you find future donors? Learn trends in research to help you successfully target and cultivate prospects.
- Technology. From state-of-the-art software to the simplest cell phone, technology is part of any fundraiser’s life. The ways fundraisers use that technology, however, are almost limitless.
- Your career. Development professionals’ work is not a static activity, and over time they will not only accept additional responsibilities and acquire more experience and credentials but also prepare for the new opportunities and challenges ahead.
- Ethics. Fundraising is built on public trust and confidence, and development professionals must take care to always do the right thing—for the good of their organizations and the profession. These articles explore the ethical issues and dilemmas that may confront fundraisers.
- Management. Overcoming management and work challenges is a critical part of the job, and luckily there are tools and resources available to nonprofit executives.
- Fundraisers Without Borders. Philanthropy and fundraising are global. Articles offer insights from around the world that you can use in your organization.
- Best Bets. Some development professionals do it all, from licking envelopes for direct-mail appeals and updating the database to planning an annual campaign and talking to donors about bequests. Their organizations may be small, but their goals and aspirations are limitless.
- Communications. From effective marketing messages to social media outreach, nonprofits reach their communities and supporters in myriad ways to educate, create awareness and inspire giving.
- One-on-One. Learn about some of your peers in these brief profiles of successful fundraisers who offer their unique perspectives on the profession and provide advice to other practitioners.
- One More Thing. Read updates on AFP programs, awards and general association news.
All AFP members automatically receive Advancing Philanthropy as a member benefit when they join the association. (Collegiate, Global, Young Professional and Small Organizational members automatically receive the digital magazine only.) For information on nonmember subscriptions for individuals and institutions, or for an AFP member extra subscription, visit How to Subscribe to Advancing Philanthropy or call 800-666-3863.