AFP Top Ten Fundraising Tips (Week of May 23, 2018): Fundraising Myths, Advisory Boards, Mentors, Cryptocurrency & More!
Need some tips on how to do your job better? Or maybe just a reminder on some key skills, the insight on the latest research, and the latest, coolest ideas from the best minds in the fundraising profession?
Each week, AFP gathers the top blog posts, videos, articles and other resources to help you keep on top of latest trends and reach your fundraising goals. Here’s this week’s Top Ten:
1. To Have a Supportive Nonprofit Advisory Board… You Must Support It! (NonProfit PRO): There are lots of great reasons to have an advisory board, but it needs to have a clearly defined role and support from your organization.
2. Foundations Giving to Donor-Advised Funds, Study Finds (Philanthropy News Digest): During the FY2014 to FY2016 period, the five largest national donor-advised fund sponsors received more than $737 million in foundation distributions, while 557 foundations made at least one grant to a DAF.
3. Myths and Urban Legends Stall Fundraising Efforts (The NonProfit Times): You should just do this online, direct mail is dead. Major donors need to be protected from direct mail. Those are the myths, the reality is quite different.
4. Do You Need a Really a Nonprofit Mentor? (The Fundraising Coach): The value of being mentored seems pretty obvious: new skills, confidence, friendship, etc. But mentoring is also great for mentors: networking opportunities, leadership development, and a stronger sense of community.
5. Process Can Mean #Donorlove, Too! (What Gives Philanthropy): Processes aren’t just dull, lifeless things; they’re dynamic and can allow you to bring your ideologies and best practices to life!
6. Demystifying Digital Assets (The Helen Brown Group): A good outline of what Helen has learned to help demystify some of the terms and concepts used to discuss cryptocurrency and its underlying blockchain, and what it might mean for your charity.
7. Stop Prospecting (The Veritus Group): So where do you find major donors? In your existing donor file. THAT is where they are. Scores of them. Maybe hundreds. They are sitting right in your file.
8. Quick Quiz – Are HR Problems Paralyzing Your Fundraising? (Hilborn): Sometimes your fundraising problems are not really fundraising problems, but communications and human resources problems!
9. How to Cultivate Awe, Gratitude and Altruism to Boost Nonprofit Fundraising (Clairification): You serve your donors every bit as much as they serve your organization’s mission. Please allow that to sink in. You have a mission. A purpose. Donors can help you get there. Your donors are looking for purpose. You can help them find it.
10. It Starts at the Top – Best Practices for Maximizing Your Fundraising Board (CCS Fundraising): Regardless of what your mission is, or how many board members you have, there are three actionable practices to use right away that will ensure that your board will be successful in raising funds.