AFP Top Ten Fundraising Tips (Week of May 2, 2018): Great Models of Online Fundraising, The Power of Giving Circles, & More!
Need some tips on how to do your job better? Or maybe just a reminder on some key skills, the insight on the latest research, and the latest, coolest ideas from the best minds in the fundraising profession?
Each week, AFP gathers the top blog posts, videos, articles and other resources to help you keep on top of latest trends and reach your fundraising goals. Here’s this week’s Top Ten:
1. The Ethical Argument for General Operating Funds (Nonprofit AF): Vu Le discusses how charities and fundraisers can best make the argument that foundations and other granters need to support general operating funds.
2. Readers’ Choice: Great Models of Online Fundraising, Provided by You (The Chronicle of Philanthropy): Chronicle readers submit their favorite examples of charities engaged in online fundraising successfully.
3. Stop Posting the Same Message on Social Media (And Do This Instead) (Hootsuite): Are you posting the same messages on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. You can do better—and SHOULD do better! Hootsuite explains how and why.
4. Amanda Palmer’s The Art of Asking: 7 Lessons for Nonprofits (M+R): Will Valverde says Amanda Palmer may not consider herself a nonprofit fundraiser or marketer but her book, The Art of Asking, is filled with important lessons for nonprofits.
5. Eight Tools to Be a More Effective Nonprofit Writer (Clairification): Most readers today skim. They’re so pressed for time, you’ve got about two minutes to grab their attention; then you have to sustain it. Here are some tips on how to do just that.
6. Special Event Follow-Up to Convert Guests to Loyal Donors (Bloomerang): Special events worth doing must not exist in a vacuum. Because otherwise you risk doing fundraising the absolutely least cost-effective way possible!
7. The Power of Giving Circles (Peoria Magazines): Kristen L. Berchtold talks about the rise of giving circles and how important they can be to fostering grassroots philanthropy and engagement.
8. Augmented Reality Is Transforming Museums (Wired): Virtual reality can give museums a new way to curate and share content and potentially attract younger generations, but unauthorized interloper apps can create new challenges.
9. Eight Leadership Lessons I Learned from My Rescue Dog (Peel Leadership Centre): Training a dog and bringing her into the family fold has some parallels with professional leadership in terms of approaches, principles and relationships. Below are some of the lessons one dog lover learned.
10. Algorithms: Put the Social Back in Nonprofit Social Media (The NonProfit Times): Facebook has plans for a “major change” by serving more content that encourages interaction. As a result, nonprofits that have relied on Facebook to tell their stories may face an uphill battle to reach their audiences, but there are strategies you can – and should – implement to maintain and improve your performance.