AFP Top Ten Fundraising Tips for the Week (December 20, 2017): Unwanted Donations, How to Nudge People to Give More, Year-End Giving & More!
Need some tips on how to do your job better? Or maybe just a reminder on some key skills, the insight on the latest research, and the latest, coolest ideas from the best minds in the fundraising profession?
Each week, AFP gathers the top blog posts, videos, articles and other resources to help you keep on top of latest trends and reach your fundraising goals. Here’s this week’s Top Ten:
1. What To Do With Unwanted Donations (Gelman, Rosenberg & Freedman): Contributors sometimes want to donate items that your organization just doesn't need. Here are a few tips for saying "no thanks," while keeping the lines of communication open so that your organization can get what it really needs.
2. How to Nudge People to Give More to Charity (Bloomberg): Nonprofit leaders can drive future giving by asking donors to commit now to giving more later in an approach called Give More Tomorrow. Data show that donors are more likely to agree to larger contributions in the near future than in the present—and they get to enjoy the positive feeling the philanthropic support brings for a longer wind of time.
3. Simple Strategies for Finding New Donors (Movie Mondays): Interesting video on underutilized strategies for finding new donors.
4. Exploring Imagine Canada’s Giving in Canada Study (The Ask): KCI Canada explore Imagine Canada’s Giving in Canada study with President & CEO Bruce McDonald.
5. What to Read over the Holidays (Stanford Social Innovation Review): Fifteen Stanford business professors recommend books for those long winter nights.
6. What Three Nonprofits Did On #GivingTuesday Instead of Asking for Money (Bloomerang): What three organizations did a bit differently than most on #GivingTuesday, and what you can take away from their approach.
7. Fundraising: Challenges and Opportunities in a Changing World (Hilborn): Daryl Upsall talks about challenges and opportunities facing fundraisers both now and in the near future.
8. Two Things You Might Believe That Can Make You Get December All Wrong (Future Fundraising Now): One, your fundraising makes people give gifts they don't really want to give. Two, every donor receives every message you send. Both are wildly untrue.
9. Killing the One-Size-Fits-All Onboard (The Agitator): You have a bunch of small-level donors, but they give for different reasons. So, you need to personalize, and here are some steps how.
10. End Strong (Network for Good): Keep your fundraising momentum strong with these eight tips.