AFP Top Ten Fundraising Tips for the Week (Oct. 18, 2017): Donor Storytelling, Volunteer Retention, Major Gifts, Checkout Donations Programs & More!
Need some tips on how to do your job better? Or maybe just a reminder on some key skills, the insight on the latest research, and the latest, coolest ideas from the best minds in the fundraising profession?
Each week, AFP gathers the top blog posts, videos, articles and other resources to help you keep on top of latest trends and reach your fundraising goals. Here’s this week’s Top Ten:
1. Stop Guessing About Your Donors (Nonprofit Storytelling): Jay Love and Steven Shattuck are very smart people. They know a lot about communicating with and cultivating donors. This interview is well worth a listen!
2. What’s Your Story? (analyticalones): Is there a certain kind of story that leads to fundraising success? Are there any commonalities in the stories that successful organizations were telling their donors? Analyticalones took a look.
3. Top 5 Volunteer Retention Mistakes and How to Avoid Them (Hilborn): A short but nice list of common mistakes nonprofit leaders make when recruiting and managing volunteers and the solutions to those problems.
4. Major Gifts: Defining and Enhancing Your Strategy (npENGAGE): Some perspective on major gifts fundraising and how we know—and don’t know—about what really works and how to get started.
5. Longer Grant Periods and Less Jargon: Funders and Nonprofits Are Working Toward A Middle Ground (Philanthropy Network Greater Philadelphia): AFP member Valerie Johnson reports on a Meet The Funders event where panelists say they’re listening to their grantees—and making changes to their processes as a result.
6. Overcoming Fear During a Donor Solicitation (LinkedIn-Martin Leifeld): Fear and fundraising are oftentimes intertwined in the donor solicitation process. In this video, you will learn how to overcome your fear, apply your faith in your mission and successfully raise funds for your organization.
7. What You Can Learn From Checkout Donation Programs (re:charity): An interesting post not just about checked out donation programs, but key lessons to apply to all fundraising. Well worth a read.
8. National Estate Planning Awareness Week: 1 Reason Why a Donor Might Change Her Will (LinkedIn-Sophie Penney): It’s National Estate Planning Awareness Week, and there are a number of reasons why a donor might change her will. Sophie Penney distills them all down into one.
9. Not All Holiday Fundraising is Created Equal (Clairification): When it comes to fundraising and philanthropy, not all holidays are created equal. Which is why you need to be thoughtful in applying any holiday fundraising or marketing strategy.
10. Why Isn’t Your Board Supporting the Fundraising Effort? (Fired Up Fundraising): There’s a disconnect between board members’ enthusiasm and their engagement in fundraising. Gail Perry offers some ideas and asks for your help.