AFP Top Ten (Week of September 20, 2017): Getting the Second Gift, Instagram Tips, Killing Independent George & More!
Need some tips on how to do your job better? Or maybe just a reminder on some key skills, the insight on the latest research, and the latest, coolest ideas from the best minds in the fundraising profession?
Each week, AFP gathers the top blog posts, videos, articles and other resources to help you keep on top of latest trends and reach your fundraising goals. Here’s this week’s Top Ten:
1. Just How Important Is a Donor’s Second Gift? (Bloomerang): If retention is so incredibly important, how come more nonprofits don’t think about getting that SECOND gift from a donor? Jay Love explores.
2. Your Email is a Magazine Cover (& 6 Other Marketing Analogies) (Stelter Insights): As you think about the various channels and devices you use to talk to your donors, consider the donor’s state of mind as they consume each one. Your print newsletter? It’s a holiday catalogue.
3. How Long Should You Keep Names in Your Database? (Pamela Grow): Pretty much forever, says Pamela. And here’s why.
4. Four Reminders to Prevent Donors from Getting Compassion Fatigue (NonProfit PRO): After relifef efforts across North America, it is understandable that donors might begin to feel worn out—or perhaps even begin to wonder how much of a difference they are making.
5. Five Myths that Make Asking for Money Hard (Get Fully Funded): Most fundraising problems and challenges are imposed by fundraisers on themselves in the form of myths and attitudes that separate them from reality. Here are five you need to rid yourself of.
6. Do You Have the Answer to The Donor Consent Issue? Here’s a Behavioural Scientist’s Perspective (SOFII): Asking for your donors’ consent about when and how to contact them is a hot topic right now. Where do you stand?
7. The Nonprofit Sector Must Move from Transaction to Collaboration (NewCo): Jason Ricci says we are measuring ourselves to death when we should be working to understand how to get better together.
8. How Individual Prospect Rating Sessions Can Help You Raise More Money Annually (LinkedIn-Robin Cabral): Volunteers WANT to help. But what’s the most effective way to help your organization? Here’s how to use prospect rating sessions to help your volunteers to become more efficient.
9. How Nonprofits Can Be #InstaAwesome on Instagram (JCSM): People that use Instagram LOVE Instagram, and if you use it right, you could tap into an engaged, active network of passionate people, ready and willing to like, comment on, and click on your posts!
10. Fundraisers: Heed George Costanza’s Warning on Relationships (The NonProfit Times): There’s the social world. And then there’s the marketing world. Don’t let the two collide and kill Independent George—as well as your donor’s relationship to your charity.