AFP Top Ten (Week of September 13, 2017): Overcoming Donor Resistance, Thank-You Letters, Standing Out Using Social Media & More!
Need some tips on how to do your job better? Or maybe just a reminder on some key skills, the insight on the latest research, and the latest, coolest ideas from the best minds in the fundraising profession?
Each week, AFP gathers the top blog posts, videos, articles and other resources to help you keep on top of latest trends and reach your fundraising goals. Here’s this week’s Top Ten:
1. How Nonprofit CRM Management Can Improve Donor Stewardship (Ann Green’s Nonprofit Blog): Wait, your Customer Relationship Management (CRM) can help improve donor stewardship? That’s right. Your CRM is full of useful management tools that can aid you in cultivating donors.
2. Five Expert Tips to Improve Your Crowdfunding Goals (And Raise More!) (Fundly): If you’re creating a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for a specific project or as a part of a larger fundraising initiative, having goals will help you stay on the right path to achieving success. Here’s five ways to improve your crowdfunding goals.
3. Five Easy Steps: A Guide to Hiring a Fundraising Consultant (The Fundraising Coach): Hiring a fundraising consultant, while incredibly important, can be tricky. With so many firms and so many service packages, how can you tell which is the right choice for your nonprofit? Here are five simple steps to break down the process.
4. The Top 7 Charity Auction Websites (Reviewed and Rated) (Donor Search): There are millions of software providers that can create charity auction websites, so where should you start my search? Donor Search has picked out their top 7 charity auction websites.
5. How to Overcome Donor Resistance (Movie Mondays): When a donor tells you “No” (in so many words), how do you respond? Stuart R. Grover shares how he is able to overcome, and see beyond, the apparent “No”.
6. Seven Characteristics of an Effective Thank-You Letter (Bloomerang): When so many nonprofit letters read like a deadly tax receipt, why would you miss the opportunity to lift your donor’s heart? Redoing your thank you letter isn’t rocket science. It merely requires factoring in a few key factors.
7. Twelve Demographic & Technology Trends Changing the Nonprofit Sector Worldwide (Nonprofit Tech for Good): A nice overview of trends—some fundraising-related, some not—that will be affecting our world and the nonprofit sector.
8. July Giving Up 4.3% Year Over Year (The NonProfit Times): Charitable contributions climbed 4.3% for the three-month period that ended in July, compared with the same period in 2016, according to the Blackbaud Index. The report also noted a 10.4% spike in online giving during that time.
9. Eleven Ways Small Nonprofits Can Stand Out Using Social Media (Maximize Social Business): When you’re a small or medium-sized nonprofit, keeping up with all the latest developments on social media can seem daunting. Fear not! You don’t have to do it all. You simply have to do what you do well.’
10. Five Smart Fundraising Tips From Wealthy Donors (The Chronicle of Philanthropy): High-net-worth philanthropists are often bombarded with gift requests from nonprofits they don’t know well. The Chronicle mined its recent coverage of big donors for the best suggestions on how fundraisers can elevate their organization’s pitch above the din of the crowd.
Related AFP ResourcesDiversity Essay: Native American fundraising: Don't forget your blanket
Grantwriting Tip: Cast Your Agency as a Hero, Not a Superhero
Direct Mail: Paying For Your Undeliverable Mail
Nonprofit Postage Rates Increasing May 12
Postage Rates Increase, With More Possibly on the Way