AFP Top Ten (Week of September 19, 2016): Getting Your Welcome Email Right, Data-Driven Nonprofits, More!
1. Getting Your Welcome Email Right (dotmailer): A blog about the welcome emails (some) for-profit marketers send when you sign up, with some good lessons for nonprofits.
2. Leadership Lessons: Fundraising is About More than Tools and Techniques (LinkedIn: Sophie Penney): In what ways are you encouraging aspiring fundraising leaders to see the bigger picture? Sophie Penney writes a short, but thoughtful post.
3. From 0 to $1 Million in 15 Minutes (Movie Mondays): Maree G. Bullock from The Alford Group talks about her experience when she was the CEO of family foundation. In the first part of the video, she talks about how people were able to get face to face meetings with the leaders of the foundation.
4. How to Get People to Read and Click on Your Nonprofit’s Emails (moflow): What can you do to ensure people keep reading your message and then click on your links? Here are six tips for crafting nonprofit emails that get read and clicked.
5. Fundraising in the Middle East: How, Why and What (101fundraising): What image do you have of the Middle East? One not so engaged in philanthropy? Think again.
6. Four Myths about Young People and Nonprofit Work (Imagine Canada): As big a problem as leadership succession is, ensuring that nonprofits can attract and retain young workers in the early stages of their careers is perhaps even a bigger issue. In this great piece, young people offer offered perspectives on a number of common myths they believe are hurting nonprofits’ ability to attract and retain young staff.
7. Five Critical Characteristics of Data Driven Nonprofits (npENGAGE): Steve McLaughlin set out to understand why nonprofits are not making more out of the hidden treasure in their data. Here are five critical characteristics that successful nonprofits had in common.
8. New Accounting Standards Seek to Streamline Nonprofits’ Financial Statements (MiBiz): Just in case you still haven’t heard, the Financial Accounting Standards Board has released new guidance that your organization needs to know!
9. Fundraising on a Budget and Understanding the Fundraising Budget (The Nonprofit Quarterly): Simone Joyaux talks about budgets, which as she says, aren’t just a bunch of numbers, but ways to have conversations based on reality.
10. Time to Change Tactics (Hilborn): Are current fundraising practices leading to dropping donor confidence? Lawrence Jackson thinks so, and talks about what the profession can do about it.