AFP Top Ten (Week of August 3, 2016): Taxing Nonprofits, Major Gifts Red Flags, Fun-Sun-Donor Love, More!
1. Proposal to Tax Nonprofits Alarms Mass. Charities (The Boston Globe): A Massachusetts legislator wants to force tax-exempt institutions across Massachusetts, such as nonprofits and schools, to pay property taxes in certain circumstances. The House of Representatives included the tax measure in an economic development bill it passed earlier in July.
2. Authentic Fundraising: A Love Story (Hilborn): A love story? With lessons about fundraising? You had us at “hello.”
3. On Philanthropy: Six Years, Six Important Lessons About Philanthropy (Denver Post): Philanthropic advisor Bruce DeBoskey discusses six key insights and takeaways he’s learned from his years working with donors and foundations.
4. ALS Foundation Netherlands: I Have Already Died (SOFII): A powerful campaign from ALS Netherlands. Well worth reading.
5. Five Red Flags to Look Out for When Raising Major Gifts (Amy Eisenstein): Red flags are often used as a sign of warning or danger. Unfortunately, most red flags are not literal, but figurative, and are often missed by the people who need them most.Once you know the red flags of major gift fundraising, they might be easier to identify and tackle.
6. A 50-50 Proposition: It’s Donor Age And Retention (The NonProfit Times): Most Americans become donors when they reach age 50. Younger people give money but they’re more likely to contribute to a friend’s 5K run or something like the Ice Bucket Challenge. Interesting trends and overview from Carol Rhine with Target Analytics.
7. Gift Announcements are Everywhere. Where are Donor Loyalty Announcements? (Donor Relations Guru): Lynn Wester looked high and low but couldn’t find any announcements about loyal donors giving year after year. Maybe it’s time that changed.
8. Six Ways to Spend Your Summer “Vacation” (Advancement Resources): Summer can be a frustrating time for development professionals. How can you take advantage of summer’s challenges to prepare for greater success next year?
9. Fun, Sun and Donor Love (Movie Mondays): Shanon Doolittle takes you on a summer vacation in search of inspiration for gratitude cards. Here’s three ideas for fun and unique cards to send to your donors this summer.
10. Legacy Giving: How to Attract the Right Prospects (Village Vibes): Focused on legacy giving in Canada, but well worth reading no matter where you are for a good overview of where and how to start.