AFP Top Ten (Week of April 6, 2016): Fundraising Ideas, Stories & Perspectives You May Have Missed!
1. Always Ask Yourself, How Would I Feel as a Major Donor? (NonProfit Pro): Do not ask for a major gift on a first visit. That’s the first date. You are just learning about your donor(s). Granted, there are exceptions to every rule–your potential major donor may have self-identified at that level.
2. Proving Your Impact: What Funders Want From Charities (The Guardian): What difference does your organisation make to society – and can you prove it? It’s a question all charity workers will be familiar with. Measuring and evidencing impact is a central part of any charity’s work; but what are funders really looking for before parting with their money? Here’s what The Guardian found out when it asked funders.
3. How to Activate Your Community to Become Fundraisers for Your Organization (101fundrasing): Peer-to-peer fundraising is helping nonprofits like never before. But can we stimulate this fundraising channel even more? And how can we get people within our community to get up and be active? This post will look into some ways which can help you to activate and get more of your community to jump in and start fundraising.
4. Sandra Schmirler Foundation’s Printed Legacy Guide: You’re In My Heart Forever’ (SOFII): This marvelous legacy promotion seems to have everything: important information about legacies, news about the Foundation and inspirational stories about the families they are striving to help.
5. Four Things I Learned at #AFPFC (What Gives Philanthropy): Maeve Strathy is back from AFPFC, a.k.a. the Association of Fundraising Professionals International Fundraising Conference, and is ready to share with you her top takeaways.
6. The Complete Guide to Nonprofit Social Media: Strategy and Design Tips for Success (Canva): The Global Web Index 2015 Report reveals that an average person has five social media accounts and spends 100 minutes browsing them every day. Social media is a very competitive landscape, but also a fine opportunity for nonprofits to tell their story, engage their supporters, and drive donations. In this post, Canva guides you through the process of building an effective digital marketing strategy from scratch, with or without the backing of professional design resources.
7. How to Turn Social Media Supporters into Donors to Your Nonprofit (The Fundraising Authority): It’s one of the biggest conundrums in non-profit fundraising: how do you turn social media supporters into long-term donors to your organization?
8. Connecting With Donors on a Human Level (Movie Mondays): Anne Schneider is a donor. She donates to many different organizations. But not all organizations end up getting repeat gifts from her. In this video, you’ll learn why.
9. Three Types of Social Content Marketing Every Nonprofit Needs (Guidestar Blog): Today if you’re trying to connect with folks who will use and/or support your services– and if they’re trying to connect with you – two things must be true: Your target constituents must be able to find you, easily, online. And, when they find you, they must encounter content that’s relevant and meaningful.
10. What If You Ask for a Gift Too Early? (The Chronicle of Philanthropy): In a perfect world you would only ask for a gift from a donor in the fullness of time – when they were ready to say yes to your exact request. However, more often than not circumstances move us to ask for gifts prematurely. In this video presentation I offer some perspectives about this sometimes challenging fundraising reality.