Book Review: The Complete Guide to Fundraising Management
- Purchase this book at the AFP Bookstore.
The Complete Guide to Fundraising Management, Second Edition, by Stanley Weinstein, ACFRE, EMBA; John Wiley & Sons, 2002; ISBN: 0-471-20019-0
If your nonprofit survives and thrives in today's highly competitive philanthropic environment, it will be because you made the most of your monetary and staffing resources. But doing so is a complicated business that demand the right approach. This practical how-to book offers an accessible and time-tested plan for fundraising success.
Newly revised and expanded, The Complete Guide to Fundraising Management, Second Edition presents incisive explanations of basic fundraising principles and practices and thoroughly covers the fundamentals of strategic management. It provides all the tools and techniques you need to oversee a comprehensive resource development program that focuses on planning, self-assessment, and continual improvement. Concentrating on high-payoff, cost-effective fundraising strategies, the book presents straightforward guidelines and step-by-step instructions for strengthening your nonprofit and obtaining the resources needed to carry out its mission.
Featuring helpful suggestions on board development, institutional advancement, and volunteer involvement, this comprehensive resource covers all the basics, including:
- How to manage the resource development function: analysis and planning, setting goals, and monitoring the budget.
- Prospect ratings and evaluations: determining the "ideal" volunteer solicitor, the capacity to give, and the request amount.
- Grantsmanship: government contracts, foundations, project development, and foundation research.
- Capital and endowment campaigns: chronological steps for success, including pre-study, advancement, intermediate, and public phases.
This indispensable resource includes a CD-ROM containing:
- Innovative prospect rating, call report, prospect tracking, and various other essential forms.
- Sample fundraising reports that focus on trends you should monitor.
- Time management and board nominating grids.
Packed with all the essentials of good nonprofit management, The Complete Guide to Fundraising Management, Second Edition is the ultimate road map to fundraising success.
About the author
Stenley Weinstein, ACFRE, EMBA, has spent 32 years in the nonprofit sector. He served for nine years on AFP's Board of Directors. As a distinguished consultant and Executive Vice President of Hartsook and Associates, he has provided services and hands-on fundraising help for more than 200 not-for-profit organizations nationwide. Mr. Weinstein's capital campaigns have resulted in numerous major gifts ranging from $50,000 to $50 million. His experience includes strategic planning, board development and capital campaigns for a broad spectrum of social welfare, healthcare, arts, and religious and educational institutions.