Top Ten (Week of June 17, 2015): Culture Of Philanthropy-Why You Need It; 6 Ways to Get It
1. Fundraising Strategy: Culture Of Philanthropy: Why You Need It; 6 Ways To Get It (Guidestar Blog): When I encounter organizations without a culture of philanthropy, I inevitably find one shared trait: They are embarrassed by fundraising.
2. Donor Giving: Fidelity DAF Grants Averaging $4,138 (The NonProfit Times): Fidelity Charitable was the second largest grant-maker in the United States last year behind only the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The Boston, Mass.-based donor-advised fund (DAF) distributed almost $2.6 billion from more than 119,000 donors.
3. Foundation Giving: Bill Clinton Says Hillary Win Could Change His Philanthropy Role (Bloomberg): Former President Bill Clinton said if his wife is elected the next U.S. president, he will consider stepping aside from leading his global philanthropy, and that, while he intends to keep delivering speeches on issues he cares about, he will stop accepting money for them.
4. Donor Relations/Cultivation: 13-Step Process to Build and Strengthen Your Mid-Level Giving Program - Part Two (Hilborn): In the second of three articles, Maeve Strathy shows what any mid-level giving program should be all about: dedicating attention to those donors showing great potential in your annual giving program.
5. Donor Relations/Cultivation: How do donors react to different fundraising channels? (UK Fundraising): What do donors think of different fundraising channels, and how do they respond to them? Which channels should fundraisers use for which type of donor? These are some of the challenges explored and explained in Fundraising Media DNA, a new research project from the Institute of Fundraising and charity research specialist fast.MAP, the first wave of which was published last month.
6. Board Leadership: Engaging board members in authentic leadership (Movie Mondays): Susan Howlett shares a couple of different ways to get board members more engaged.
7. Conference Recap: New York Fundraising Day (Nonprofit Bridge): Norman Reiss looks back at AFP New York Fundraising Day and some of the highlights of the sessions he attended in the Web, Tech and Social Media tracks.
8. Certification: CFRE: Raising the bar for fundraising in Austin (Giving City Austin): Why Austin—and pretty much every other city in the world—needs more CFREs.
9. Fundraising Approach/Strategy: Brainstorming is an important element to improving (Exempt Magazine): At the Direct Marketing Association (DMA) 2015 Washington Nonprofit Conference, Yoon Lee of the Smithsonian Institution and Will Valverde of M+R not only emphasized the value of brainstorming but also offered tips on getting the most out of a brainstorming session.
10. Conference Recap: AFP Planet Philanthropy (AFP Florida Caucus): Check out what people got out of AFP Planet Philanthropy 2015, the conference put together by AFP’s chapter in Florida.