Top Ten (Week of May 13, 2015): The State of Relationship Fundraising—The Conversation Continues
1. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: The State of Relationship Fundraising – A Conversation, Part II (101Fundraising): The second of two blogs looking comprehensively, and provocatively, at the state of relationship fundraising. This one discusses the challenges faced by relationship fundraisers, the lessons we have learned, what we need to do differently, and the future for relationship fundraising.
2. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: A Fundraising Utopia (Ken Burnett): Fundraising guru Ken Burnett with the second of five thoughtful pieces on the future of fundraising and why fundraising has to change.
3. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: The Storytelling Question I’m Asked Most Often(Ignited Fundraising): Lori Jacobwith gives 10 tips for keeping a story concise while still inspiring readers or listeners.
4. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Ahead of Give Local America, 7 trends in Giving Days (Beths Blog) Beth Kanter shares 7 trends identified by the Knight Foundation.
5. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: The Most Effective and Difficult Types of Content Marketing, in One Chart (Contently): Some forms of information content are effective and easy to produce. Others may be more difficult than it’s worth. Articles, case studies, visual aids, and eNewsletters are relatively easy and inexpensive. Videos, white papers, and webinars, on the other hand, are a lot of work, take time and resources to do well, and if they’re not promoted correctly, can fall flat and deliver a disastrous return on investment. Truth: what holds for marketers holds for fundraising communications.
6. Online/Social Media: 5 Tips to Make Your Website Get Better Search Rankings (Tech Soup): This post offers five "tricks" to improve your website's visibility in organic searches (Google, Bing, and other search engines' results). Tip #1: Think like a search engine.
7. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: 5 Quotes to Transform Your Nonprofit Storytelling (Grant Space): Five quotes that (should) change the way you tell your organization's story.
8. International: India Puts Ford Foundation on Notice (Nonprofit Quarterly): Is this news item a harbinger of things to come for NGOs and their funders? Ford Foundation is the 16th international donor to be put under watch by the Indian government.
9. Major Gifts: How to Warm Up Your Donors for Big Major Gift Asks (Fired Up Fundraising): Gail Perry give 3 good reasons why you should gently prepare your donor for a major gift ask.
10. Miscellaneous: How Philanthropy Props Up Public Services and Why We Should Care (Nonprofit Quarterly): Philanthropy helping public services is a good thing, right? Rick Cohen shows that the results aren’t always what we think they are. For example, “We found clear evidence that across the nation private philanthropy for public schools exacerbates rather than eliminates budgetary inequities across school districts.” Are we helping make the rich richer and the poor poorer?