Top Ten (Week of March 9, 2015): How Your Donor and Your Goldfish Are Alike
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success!
1. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Catching the Not-for-Profit Goldfish (101 Fundraising): Want to get the attention of prospective donors? Their attention span is about the same as the attention span of a goldfish. Here are 4 tips you can us to attract attention for your organization.
2. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: How sticky is your fundraising? (ifundraiser): What is “stickiness” in fundraising and how can you measure it? This post says it’s when conversations in one activity lead to payoffs in other donations. And when you log those conversations, it alerts you to look for opportunities in other conversations.
3. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Create a Thank-You Experience for Your Donors (Ann Green): Thanking donors shouldn’t be a process: it should be an experience—one that will last as long as someone donates to your organization. This post contains a variety of tips and sample thank-you letters you can use.
4. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Get Rid of Transactional Fundraising (Veritus Group): Veritus Group urges major gift officers to “get the donor” because “if you get the donor, the dollars will follow.” The core strategy needs to be centered on capturing the donor’s heart and understanding her passions.
5. Technology: Open Source for Nonprofits: What to Know (Part 1) (techsoup): Nonprofits are good candidates for open-source software (OSS), which can offer the functionality they need without the glitz, glamor, and high price point of commercial systems. But it’s hard to know the pros and cons. This article shows you what you need to know.
6. Online/Social Media: SEO for Beginners (Blogher University): Probably nothing about you organization’s website is more confusing than Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Yet mastering SEO is vital to attracting attention to your website. The article will get you started.
7. Online/Social Media: Why so many organisations fail at Facebook (101 Fundraising): If your Facebook page is not really working for your organization, chances are the problem is with you, not Facebook. Here are 10 mistakes that hold back Facebook results for many nonprofits.
8. Donors: How to Find and Solicit New Donors (Philanthropy.com): Here in one place are links to The Chronicle of Philanthropy's top resources for expanding your organization's pool of donors. [Subscription required.]
9. Fundraising Research: 2015 Index Reveals Philanthropy Is Growing Worldwide, Particularly in Europe (Forbes): The 2015 BNP Paribas Individual Philanthropy Index reveals that philanthropy is growing worldwide, increasing by five points on average in 2015. Out of the four regions, Europe is now almost level with the USA, with a strong increase in current and projected giving. The Index is derived from a survey of 400 high net worth individuals in the four regions, each with investable assets valued at $5 million or more.
10. Fundraising Research: Two Nonprofit Acquisition and Agency/Consultant Partnerships Trends for 2015 (Nonprofit PRO): Top executives from Avalon Consulting Group and Veritus Group give their expectations for trends in donor acquisition and Agency/Consultant Partnership in 2015.What are your expectations?