Top Ten (Week of February 18, 2015): When Your Nonprofit Can and Cannot Send Email
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success!
1. Email: When Your Nonprofit Can and Cannot Send Email (Bloomerang): The ins and outs of how you can send emails so they won’t up in a spam folder. You might want to review this guide with your entire staff.
2. Online/Social Media: New Research on Social Media Use (Wild Apricot): The Pew Research Internet Project’s report, Social Media Update 2014, makes clear that social media is on the rise in every demographic, a majority of Internet users are now on more than one social media channel, and more people are logging on every day. This blog post summarizes highlights from the report.
3. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Your Thank You Letter Template (Pamela Grow): Here is a thank you letter template you can steal.
4. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: 5 Ways to Really Annoy Older Donors (Joanne Fritz): Language really matters, and this blog post presents five writing mistakes that are likely to annoy the very people you need on your side.
5. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: 90 Donors in 30 Days (Wild Woman Fundraising): An account of a modest first-time crowdsourcing campaign for the Pokey the Penguin comic, including what they did right and mistakes they made.
6. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: How to Get Your Current Donors to Give You 40% More (FiredUp Fundraising): Gail Perry says your current donors are where the real money is. But the key is the speed of your thank you. She advocates calling the donor within 48 hours of receiving the gift.
7. Miscellaneous: Nonprofit Deaths, Near Deaths and Reincarnations: Part 1 of 5, Hull House (Nonprofit Quarterly): This case study of the venerable Hull House in Chicago shows how financial mismanagement, poor governance, and mission drift can slip in and spell disaster for even the most well-established nonprofit institutions.
8. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Nonprofit Storytelling | How to hook your reader from the first sentence (Pamela Grow): This short blog post illustrates the importance of emotional, heart-rending detail in telling your nonprofit’s story.
9. Fundraising Research: Are Sexy People Really More Selfish? New Study Reveals Men and Women Differ (PsyBlog): Would you expect people with sexy bodies to be more altruistic or less than ordinary people? What about gender—would women be more altruistic than men or less? The results of this study might surprise you.
10. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: [VIDEO] How a 353 Year-Old School Retains Donors (Bloomerang): There are a lot of ways you can keep your nonprofit tops in the minds of current and potential supporters, as this video and transcript show.
Related AFP ResourcesUPDATE: The Canada New Horizons Transition Task Force
The Power of Sponsorship
Creating Successful Nonprofit Boards, Staff and Programs—Take a Cue from Successful For-Profit Businesses
Get Listed in the Online Consultants and Resource Directory
Online Card Catalog