Top Ten (Week of September 15, 2014): Can You Plan on IRA Charitable Rollover?
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success
1. Planned Giving: Can You Plan on IRA Charitable Rollovers?? (Planned Giving Design Center): The IRA charitable rollover provision expired last year but could be reinstated retroactively, all of which raises uncertainty in planning for 2014 IRA distributions. Richard Fox offers cautionary guidance on this complex issue.
2. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Favorite Fundraising Asks or Offers (Nonprofit Marketing Guide): A great list of fundraising asks and offers.
3. Jobs/Workplace: 6 Best Ways to Make Storytelling Part of Your Nonprofit’s Culture (Clairification): Simple things you can do to make storytelling about your nonprofit and its mission a regular part of your organization’s operations, from staff members to board members.
4.Year-End Fundraising: Five Right-Now Steps for a Strong Finish (Network for Good): Nancy Schwartz says, “Now’s the time for you to bear down and give birth to the most compelling fundraising campaign you have in you.” She goes on to describe five steps you can take right now to assure a happy outcome.
5. Year-End Fundraising: Year-End Fundraising by the Numbers (nonprofit hub): What are other organizations doing for year-end fundraising. Based on a survey by Nonprofit Hub, here in one infographic are what organizations said are their biggest successes and challenges with year-end giving.
6. Online/Social Media: Bitcoin and the Virtual Currency Trend (northern trust): As the buzz continues, fundraisers and boards seek to understand bitcoin and virtual currency. This matter-of-fact article lays out what you should know before your nonprofit opts to join in.
7. Jobs/Workplace: Five Leadership Skills You Need Now and Later (tycelywilliams): When you go to your next job, you need to take the same leadership skills you need today.
8. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Defining Collaborations in Grant Proposals (Nonprofit Times): In developing programs and delivering services, most organizations collaborate with other groups. NPT quotes Barbara Floersch, executive director of The Grantsmanship Center in Los Angeles: “High-quality collaborations add credibility to grant proposals. …Be sure to highlight and define partnerships, even when funders don’t require it.” Here’s a roster of points to address.
9. Corporate Philanthropy: 2 Simple Strategies to Increase Donations Using Your Website (fundraising success): Two simple strategies for improving your organization’s corporate-giving metrics by making just a few simple edits to your website.
10. Online/Social Media: 10 Online Fundraising Best Practices (Tech for Good): If you do online fundraising—and who doesn’t these days?—check your efforts against this checklist of 10 best practices.