Top Ten (Week of September 1, 2014): 5 Ways Your Nonprofit Can Reach Millennials
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success
1. Special Events: Do you have a #GivingTuesday Campaign? (BackOfficeThinking): Less than 100 days until Giving Tuesday, which means you should be starting your campaign NOW! All you need is a cause to tie to the hashtag and you’re set.
2. Jobs/Workplace: Lack of Pay a Growing Challenge for Nonprofit Interns (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): Nonprofits top the list for unpaid internships, which promotes a problem for recent college graduates looking for professional development in fundraising.
3. Technology: Why Your Nonprofit Should Invest in Video As Part Its Communications Strategy (BethKanter): Ninety-one percent of nonprofit staff believe video will be essential for them within three years. It’s hailed as the ultimate storyteller, so you SHOULD be using it!
4. Email: The Integrated Email—When All Hell Breaks Loose (TargetMarketingMag): The wrong automated email goes out and your stomach drops… Now pick it up, and follow these recon guidelines to smooth things over.
5. Donors: When It Comes To Reaching Your Target Audience, Personality Goes A Long Way (EleventyGroup): Use the Myers-Brigg Personality Indicator to analyze your donors so you can craft better targeting marketing!
6. Online/Social Media: 9 Awesome Reasons to Use Infographics in your Content Marketing (JeffBullas): Infographics are compelling and attractive, easily scanned and viewed, create brand awareness and increase traffic. So, tell me again why you’re not using them?
7. Donors: Write Better Fundraising Appeals by Implementing One of Dr. Robert Cialdini’s 6 Principles of Persuasion (npEngage): Exercise the six principles in your fundraising appeals: reciprocity, scarcity, authority, consistency and liking.
8. Younger Donors/Gen Y/Millennials: 5 Ways Your Nonprofit Can Reach Millennials (FrogLoop): Still trying to reach Millennials? Well, for starters, you should be texting them, not calling. And make sure you challenge them—they like a challenge.
9. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Raising Awareness for Your Cause – Nonprofit Blog Carnival (NonprofitMarketingGuide): This month’s Nonprofit Blog Carnival features resources on raising cause awareness, which is perfect timing on the heels of the #IceBucketChallenge!
10. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: School Fundraising Programs Need a Complete Overhaul (TheStir): School JUST started and the fundraisers for wrapping paper have already started. But what if school fundraisers simply asked for what they needed—supplies, electronics, uniforms, etc.— would people be more willing to give?
Related AFP ResourcesPenelope Cagney, Bernard Ross Win AFP/Skystone Partners Research Prize
College Park Professor Awarded Prestigious Fundraising Research Prize
Elements of Successful Prospect Research
The Value of FEP
New Study Shows Accountability the Norm in the Nonprofit Sector