Top Ten (Week of August 25, 2014): 6 Signs of a Well-run Nonprofit Organization
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Miscellaneous: Slactivism (SethGodin): Even the slactivists of the Ice Bucket Challenge are inevitably doing good by spreading the word!
2. Technology: We’re Crash Testing Digital Campaign Tools – And Here’s What We’ve Found (MobilisationLab): Tried and tested! Mobilisation Lab tested several digital campaign tools and now they’re sharing all of their feedback on the best to use, and the ones you may want to reassess.
3. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Turning Tragedy into Action! (DirectMarketingIQ): Talk about great storytelling! How about a story from someone directly affected by a cause, like Jim Brady? Learn from is story for how it’s really done.
4. Email: 1 Email to Steal, 1 Email to Learn From for Fundraisers (FundraisingSuccessMag): Email marketing do’s and don’ts—email donors to celebrate their milestones, but don’t ask too much of their time.
5. Miscellaneous: The ‘Overhead’ Pledge (Philantopic): With watchdog groups bearing down on nonprofits about their overhead costs, several nonprofits raised their hands and committed to take the ‘overhead’ pledge. The pledge means that they are willing to disclose the true cost of all of their nonprofits’ operations to anyone who wants to see them.
6. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Fox Releases Series Pilot Early After Charity Goal Is Met (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): Tying philanthropy to contests and teasing with something that people want will be sure to induce donations. Not only does the contest raise awareness, but donors are giving to get, and there’s nothing wrong with that!
7. Special Events: Summer School: Test Drive: Using #GivingTuesday to Experiment with New Fundraising Strategies (BethKanter): Charities around the world are scratching their heads and saying, “why didn’t I think of that?” when it comes to the uber successful Ice Bucket Challenge. But with #GivingTuesday right around the corner, there are more opportunities to cash in.
8. Jobs/Workplace: 6 Signs of A Well-run Nonprofit Organization (FutureFundraisingNow): Do your nonprofit align with your fundraising goals? Are you run by staff, not committees? Are you connected to your donors? Your nonprofit should possess these attributes, and more!
9. Online/Social Media: 5 Features of Successful Infographics (Business2Community): What exactly is an infographic? And how can you use it for your nonprofit? Here are the five features your infographic should possess to be successful and meaningful.
10. Online/Social Media: 4 Reasons to Use LinkedIn for Fundraising (TheNonprofitTimes): Your donor prospects may already be on there, you could scope out new board members there, you can join groups to broaden your network, and best of all—it’s free! Are you using it?
Related AFP ResourcesTechnology: Fundraisers and Donors Not Yet on the Same Page
“Mobile” Isn’t Just Mobile Giving—Ensuring Donors Can Access Your Organization From Anywhere
Many Nonprofits Using Social Media, Few Measuring Value
Social Media Performance Linked to Financial Success
Twitter: It Isn't Just for Breakfast Anymore