Top Ten (Week of August 4, 2014): And the Best Subject Line Is…
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Online/Social Media: How to Build an Effective Mobile Strategy (RetailOnlineIntegration): Are there things about mobile sites that irk you? Make sure yours isn’t one of them—follow these steps to ensure you’re not!
2. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Toward a Nonprofit Theory of Leadership and Organizational Culture (NonprofitQuarterly): Nonprofit leaders should be following these 19 principles and practices for decision-making, culture and communications for a successful organization.
3. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: How to Turn Audience Emotion into Action (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): You have a great story about your nonprofit or charity from a donor or someone who has been positively affected by your cause. So how do you leverage that to gain volunteers and even more donors? Read on to find out!
4. Direct Mail: 7 Characteristics of an Effective Thank You Letter (BloomerangTech): Do NOT address your donor as “Dear Friend” in a thank you letter. Address THEM, the real person, not a generic “friend.”
5. Fundraising Research: Speaking the Language of Nonprofit Donation Appeals (StayClassy): Cash in on the research-proven top nonprofit words and statements. Research shows that statements like “act now” and “listeners like you…” bring in more money!
6. Jobs/Workplace: What to Look for When Hiring a New Fundraising Staff Replacement (FundraisingSuccessMag): Hiring new staff can be a daunting task, but this great outline will help you through the interview process. Use it as part of the description for the perfect replacement fundraiser!
7. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: 5 Story Starters You Can Steal (NonprofitMarketingGuide): You have an amazing story to tell about your nonprofit but you have no idea where, or how, to start. These five tips will help the story start flowing out of you in a cinch—goodbye writer’s block!
8. Email: And the Best Subject Line Is… (TargetMarketingMag): Email subject lines that start with “Re” have the highest open rates. A simple “Re:” has a 92 percent open-rate—no kidding! See what other subject lines get opened most – and least.
9. Ethics: One Hand Washes the Other: Making Connections for a Fee (GreaterGoodFundraising): Making a commission by connecting nonprofits with donors is against the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards. Just say “no” to finder’s fees!
10. Email: How to Build an Email List for Your Nonprofit (MediaCause): An email is a quick, simple and FREE way to engage potential supports of your nonprofit. Though it doesn’t guarantee that they’ll give, building an email list is the best way to start and find out. Make it easy, obvious and set expectations!