Top Ten (Week of July 30, 2014): 10 Must-Have Skills for Nonprofit New Media Managers
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Online/Social Media: Social Change Requires Foundations to Help Nonprofits Extend Their Digital Reach (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): Digital fundraising is the wave of the future, and a major money maker. Don’t let your lack of time and human resources stunt your chance to maximize on this market. Find ways to incorporate it into your fundraising plan.
2. Technology: 5 Reasons to Use Event Management Software to Plan Your Next Fundraising Event (FundraisingSuccessMag): Whether large or small, your next fundraising event can be done much easier with software. You can use it to manage RSVP’s, registration, post to social media, track metrics and more! Simply to succeed.
3. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: The 7 Deadly Sins of Marketing (TargetMarketingMag): Things NOT to do in nonprofit marketing: forget metrics, market in a silo, don’t segment and more!
4. Miscellaneous: Where my girls at?* (101Fundraising): Who run the fundraising world? Girls! Or, more so than you think, at least. Let these women fundraisers inspire you—women OR men.
5. Online/Social Media: 10 Must-Have Skills for Nonprofit New Media Managers (NonprofitTechforGood): New media managers are the new ‘it’ position, and all of these newbies MUST be creative with great writing skills, plus so much more.
6. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: A ‘Power Index’ for Fundraising Channels? (AdrianSalmonBlog): Do you know your cost per donor or cost per appeal? This breakdown and formula will help you calculate and then maximize on your findings!
7. Corporate Philanthropy: Nonprofit finds revenue stream in its lobby (CrainsNewYork): Interesting new way to partner with corporations – this foundation found a way to gain revenue AND get “free” publicity by partnering with this small business. It was a win-win for all!
8. Public Policy: Bipartisan House Super-Majority Passes “America Gives More Act” (CouncilonFoundations): “The goodwill of American people is unmatched…” Encouraging even more Americans’ generosity, the House passes “American Gives More Act.”
9. Fundraising Research: Research on Fundraising Strategies Proven to Work [Infographic] (ThirdSectorToday): A specific Nonprofit Research Collaborative report shows that organizations with at least a 50 percent donor-renewal rate in their annual fund are more likely to meet their goal. This and more facts included in the breakdown of annual fund research, plus an infographic that says it all!
10. Online/Social Media: What Should You Put on Your Nonprofit Website? (NonprofitCharitableOrgs): Your nonprofit website should be a hub of engaging information that helps people find you when they search online. The more engaging material you include, the better. Starting with: articles, videos, pictures, blog posts and more!