Top Ten (Week of July 2, 2014): Reinventing The Ask: Fundraising in the Digital Age
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Online/Social Media: 2014 Media Image Size Cheat Sheet (ConstantContact): There is actually a right and wrong way to upload and display your pictures. I know what you’re thinking: trivial information. However, these tiny tidbits can help you get more likes, click-throughs and shares!
2. Year-End Fundraising: Do You See What I See? 2 Steps to Prepare for Year-End Fundraising (FundraisingSuccessMag): Are we really six months out from year-end fundraising already?! Planning time is nigh!
http://www.fundraisingsuccessmag.com/blog/do-you-see-what-i-see-2-steps-prepare-year-end- firstname.lastname@example.org#utm_source=today-in- fundraising&utm_medium=enewsletter_headline_story1&utm_campaign=2014-06-26
3. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Five Tips Friday: Using the Seasons to Your Marketing Advantage (Business2Community): Make the most with what you already have! Mooch off of the seasons and build campaigns around them.
4. Online/Social Media: You Can Never Make a #nomakeupselfie or a Cold Water Challenge-Trend. But You CAN Be Ready For It. (101Fundraising): We can only hope that something like the #nomakeupselfie would take off, but it can’t actually be planned. However, you SHOULD be prepared for it, just in case it does magically happen one day.
5. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Robert Wood Johnson Reshapes Approach to Health Philanthropy (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): Health philanthropy is making a shift from concentrating on specific areas like obesity and smoking, and instead starting from the ground up. If you start from the bottom you may not ever have to concentrate on specific issues in the future—nip it in the bud.
6. Fundraising Research: The Blackbaud Index: Charitable Giving to Nonprofits Increased 0.9% in May (Blackbaud): No negatives here! Giving continues to rise compared to this time last year. Overall giving is up .9%, and online giving is up 8.1%!
7. Younger Donors/Gen Y/Millennials: Millennials and the Social Sector: What’s Next? (SSIReview): It’s not just how Millennials do things anymore – they’re not influencing the entire nonprofit sector. The “Millennial way” is now turning into everyone’s way.
8. Online/Social Media: reddit 101: How to Use reddit As A Nonprofit Communicator (Crowdster): reddit has been called “the front page of the internet”, so it only makes sense that nonprofits find a way to use it to get their message out to the masses!
9. Younger Donors/Gen Y/Millennials: Three Powerful Ways to Engage Millennials Backed by Research (JohnHaydon): Based on a study conducted of just two simple questions, MCON and the Case Foundation provide three key outcomes that will help you engage Millennials.
10. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Reinventing The Ask: Fundraising in the Digital Age (NTen): In a world that revolves around instant gratification, your nonprofit must be cutting edge—even ON the edge—in order to keep up. Two AFPeeps help guide you through the new world of digital fundraising.