Top Ten (Week of April 30, 2014): Has the Word 'Impact' Lost Its Impact?
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: How to Predict the Success of a Nonprofit Program Before It Starts (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): Before you launch your next nonprofit, see if it will make it in the long run by weighing cost per outcome—a new measurement to see if your nonprofit will outweigh the costs.
2. Campaigns: How to Get People Excited About Your Nonprofit’s Next Fundraising Campaign (Guidestar): Getting people’s attention for yet ANOTHER campaign launch can be daunting—like being a small fish in a big sea of campaigns! Here are some tips to get people intrigued, and invested!
3. Technology: 4 Ways to Max Your Mobile for Diverse Demographics (NTEN): Most people are constantly on the go, which means running their lives via mobile—that’s why your nonprofit website should be responsive, AND you should be on Instagram. Find out how to get there.
4. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Has the Word ‘Impact’ Lost Its Impact? (Philantopic): Have you ever noticed that ‘impact’ is the fundraiser’s word, not the donor’s? It’s time to speak more like a donor, and hang-up the use of ‘impact’.
5. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Fundraisers (TheFundraisingAuthority): Great fundraisers are bound to have things in common—and in fact, there are seven common traits. See if you possess any!
6. Donors: What Can Starbucks Teach Us About Fundraising? (GoodWorks): It’s not a competition of WHO gets that donor, and WHY. The annual giving team shouldn’t be in competition with the speaker events team—they can all have a piece of the donor!
7. Email: Have Nonprofit Videos? Use Them to Increase Email Click-Through Rates (stayclassy): Get this: emails with video have 300 percent click-through rates over emails without—300 percent!! I suppose you’re off to make a video? Read this first!
8. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: How to Convince Your Boss to Let You Write Like a Human (NonprofitMarketingGuide): Donors relate much better, and like reading much more, a colloquial style of writing. No more monotone emails, direct mail pieces and online communications—get conversational!
9. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: How to Simplify Your Nonprofit’s Story to One Paragraph (NonprofitCharitableOrgs): Ditch the ‘elevator pitch’ for the new ‘Pixar pitch’—take a cue from Finding Nemo!
10. Fundraising Research: 9 Nonprofit Numbers Predicting A Positive Fundraising Forecast For 2014 (EleventyGroup): Things are looking up for fundraising, and there are nine solid nonprofit numbers to back up the optimism!