Top Ten (Week of April 9, 2014): David Letterman Retiring, Jimmy Fallon on the Rise and Social Media
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Miscellaneous: Private Charity Can’t Replace Government Social Programs (LATimes): Ever see a neighborhood or charity in need and think to yourself, “My taxes and government money will handle that”? That’s why those government programs are so crucial.
2. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: “What Fundraising Activity Should We Cut?” (TheFundraisingAuthority): You set your fundraising plan for the year and get ready to tackle it! Then, a million and one things are added to your plate—which should be priority? How do you stick to the original plan? Get some guidance here!
3. Donors: What Rights Do Your Donors Have? (VeritusGroup): Donors—you take their money, and then what? How do you treat them afterwards? They are entitled to some rights, don’t you think? Make sure you obey these key donor bill of rights.
4. Online/Social Media: If Google Were a Nonprofit, What Would Its Website Look Like? (npEngage): When you think of Google you think: simple, to the point, one-stop shop. Your nonprofit’s website should be modeled the exact same way. Make it easy for the visitor/donor—get to the point of your nonprofit.
5. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Most People Skim. Few Read Deep. (Guidestar): How do you get your readers past “skimming” and onto reading your newsletters? Science shows that photos, graphics, color, quotes and bullets stop them in their skimming tracks.
6. Eight Takeaways from the AFP 2014 International Conference on Fundraising (bloomerang): Jay Love has attended 31 AFP International Conferences! So odds are, his takeaways are really good and insightful. Some interesting comments on finding a mentor and running into board chairs.
7. Simply the Best: Top 10 blog posts! (Q1 2014) (101fundraising): Maybe we should have called it 20 Things You Might Have Missed this week, because here’s ten of the most popular fundraising posts that originally appeared on 101fundraising. Good stuff all the way around.
8. If You Can’t Support the Cause, Don’t Take the Job (greatergoodfundraising): While we might disagree with the premise that most fundraisers are hired hands, the sentiment in this post is right on and is always a good reminder.
9. Nonprofits Can Learn About Donor Retention from David Letterman (Clairification): Wait, a post about donor retention AND David Letterman? We’re in! Why Letterman retired has some interesting insights for nonprofits and social media.
10. Dasra Philanthropy Week: Spotlight on the New Indian Companies Act (alliance): We’ve been following closely the new Indian Companies Act that would require CSR by all companies in India. A short update on some of the next step and challenges.