Top Ten (Week of January 27, 2014): The 3 Principles to Acquire, Retain, and Upgrade Your Donors
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Fundraising Research: Group Estimates Philanthropy Rose 13% in 2013, Clashing With ‘Giving USA’ (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): The Atlas of Giving releases early number for 2013 giving among Americans that’s set to clash with the findings from ‘Giving USA’. Who to believe?
2. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: The 4 S’s of the Modern Nonprofit (eJewishPhilanthropy): Modern nonprofits can be summed up in four words: simple, scrappy, sustainable and selfless. ‘Focus’ is the new motto.
3. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Drowning in Content? Curated Link Roundups Can Help (NonprofitCharitableOrgs): Every nonprofit cannot be everything to everyone—hone your vision and mission—curate content that works for you and pick the things you CAN do, not everything.
4. Younger Donors/Gen Y/Millennials: Lessons From Young Women Philanthropists (MemphisDailyNews): Take a cue from this empowering group of women philanthropists—they take action, get it done, and strive to “own” philanthropy.
5. Donors: The 3 Principles to Acquire, Retain, and Upgrade Your Donors (npEngage): “The donors are customers”…and the customer is always right! Follow these donor principles to make them happy.
6. Donors: Donor Engagement: Do Your Homework! (LighthouseCounsel): Check your event list, and check it twice. Cross-reference and be prepared to greet donors, volunteers, sponsors and beyond! They may be more than just an attendee.
7. Donors: Can You Relate? 5 Ideas to Improve Donor Relations Skills (ClevelandBlog): Donor relations is simple PEOPLE relations—identify the relationship, build on it and face your dears.
8. Technology: Mobile tech is changing the game for philanthropy (HattiesburgAmerican): Parents may not be thrilled about the abounding mobile usage, but it’s doing wonders for the nonprofit campaigns!
9. Online/Social Media: 6 Essential Components of Top Notch Nonprofit Blogs (Hubspot): The blog is a place for more personal communication – use it to engage your donors, followers and readers!
10. Donors: Shower Your Donors With Love (AnnGreenNonprofit): Hopefully you’ve reached out to your donors since the year-end push, but if not, get back in the game and “show the love” with Valentine’s Day.