Top Ten (Week of January 20, 2014): Philanthropy Trends to Take Advantage of in 2014
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: 10 Reasons this Fundraising Appeal Hits it Out of the Ballpark (Clairification): This nonprofit just “gets it.” Ten reasons why any donor would “move mountains” for the person in this nonprofit’s story.
2. Advocacy/Public Policy: Charitable Deduction Probably Safe for 2014, Say Experts (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): Forecasting little movement for the charitable tax deduction in 2014—but high hopes arise with a new leader that seeks to protect giving.
3. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Resources You Just Must—MUST—Check Out! (NonprofitQuarterly): Inspiring, though-provoking, opinionated and out-of-the-box resources for fundraisers—all in one place!
4. Volunteer Management: What do you talk about at your board meetings? (Sofii): Six questions to periodically ask at your board meetings—where your priority should absolutely be governance.
5. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Philanthropy Trends to Take Advantage of in 2014 (Fool): Cash-in on these trends in 2014—major gifts, young philanthropists rising to the top, online giving and more!
6. Younger Donors/Gen Y/Millennials: Trends in Young Philanthropy Are Cause for Optimism (BostinnoStreetwise): What we know about youth in philanthropy: they’re engaged, they do their research and they’re causing an epidemic of optimism!
7. Donors: 29 ways to start a healthy 2014 (WarwickOnline): Instead of yearlong resolutions (that 90 percent of us won’t stick to…), why not make monthly resolutions that make a difference?
8. Marketing/Communications: Are communications departments the enemy of fundraisers? (101Fundraising): Stories of awful communications that destroy fundraising campaigns and risk cutting off communication to donors—what NOT to do.
9. Fundraising Research: Charity becomes less moral when ‘tainted’ by personal gain (AniNews): Whether you get something in return or nothing at all—isn’t charity still…charity? Shouldn’t we take what we can get, regardless of the donor’s incentives?
10. Technology: Blackbaud Highlights Key Technology Trends For Nonprofits in 2014 (BlackbaudNews): Technology runs the world! And it’s no different for nonprofits. 2014 nonprofit tech trends include: mobile, social media, analytics and more!
Related AFP ResourcesInstagram Makes Waves in the Nonprofit World
Lessons From 2012 That Will Make 2013 A Great Year
Ten Things You Might Have Missed (October 30, 2012)
Social Media Has Growing Impact on Peer-to-Peer Event Fundraising
How Do You Measure the Success of Fundraising on Social Networks? Dollars or Doggie Treats?