Top Ten (Week of January 13, 2014): One Thing Most Nonprofits Stink at (Donor Retention) and How You Can Change It in 2014
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Are communications departments the enemy of fundraisers? (101Fundraising): Featuring horror stories of communications sent by nonprofits that destroy fundraising campaigns and risk cutting off all communications to donors. Don’t do it!
2. Fundraising Research: Charity becomes less moral when ‘tainted’ by personal gain (AniNews): A new study shows that people are likely to frown upon those who do charity to get something in return. But whether you get something in return or nothing at all, charity is still charity. Should they take what they can get?
3. Volunteer Management: What do you talk about at your board meetings? (Sofii): Six questions to periodically ask at your board meetings - where your priority should absolutely be: governance.
4. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Philanthropy Trends to Take Advantage of in 2014 (Fool): Cash in on these trends while they last: major gifts, young philanthropists who take the cake, mobile and online giving, and getting back into the investment game post-recession.
5. Corporate Philanthropy: Giving at Work: “Most Dramatic Shift We’ve Ever Seen” (Forbes): It’s no longer a question of whether an organization should have an employee giving program, but instead it’s a question of how to maximize on it!
6. Younger Donors/Gen Y/Millennials: 30 Under 30 Who Are Changing the World 2014 (Finance.Yahoo): Twenty-two years old and already raised $30 million—plus 29 other incredible 30-year-olds (and younger) who are changing the world.
7. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Top 2013 Fundraising Lessons for 2014 (NonprofitFundraising): Lesson learned—let 2013’s ‘yays’ and ‘nays’ guide you in 2014. Diversity was a ‘yay’! While the private sector may be an overrated ‘nay’.
8. Donors: One Thing Most Nonprofits Stink at (Donor Retention) and How You Can Change It in 2014 (npEngage): Thirteen fundraising experts tells you their donor retention secrets – and you’ll want to know because retention rates are down five percent.
9. Donors: 5 rules for thanking donors (NonprofitMarketingBlog): Remember the year-end push you did? And remember how giving rose 16 percent, proving that the push worked? Well, now it’s time for those “thank you’s’”!
10. Direct Mail: Does Direct Mail Have a Future? (TargetMarketingMag): The evolution of direct mail—from a singular piece to a multi-piece personalized for each receiver. Where’s it headed next?