Top Ten: 7 Tips for Nonprofits to Avoid Social Media Burnout in 2014
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Major Gifts: It’s Not All about Major Gifts: 10 Ways to Succeed with Small Gift Fundraising (Clairification): Major gifts isn’t the only star of a campaign—look at the American Red Cross – they thrive on small gifts in mass amounts!
2. Online/Social Media: 7 Tips for Nonprofits to Avoid Social Media Burnout in 2014 (NonprofitCharitableOrgs): One of your nonprofit’s biggest enhancements in 2013 was likely the addition of social media—but it can bog you down, so follow these tips to keep it fun and light for 2014.
3. Donors: What ‘No’ Means for Fundraisers (Fundchat): It’s like any other situation in your life—your wife says one thing, you hear another…your donor politely says ‘no’, you take it as ‘challenge accepted’!
4. Miscellaneous: After Disasters, Communities Need Long-Term Solutions, Not Quick Fixes (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): When the dust settles and everyone goes back to their normal routines, THAT’S when communities need the most help.
5. Year-end Fundraising: Year-end YIKES? Keep this in mind. (Hands-onFundraising): So, it’s mid-December and you haven’t gotten your appeals out yet. Okay, don’t panic, just DO IT!
6. Donors: 7 Things You Need to Know About 2013 Online Donors (FiredUpFundraising): It’s not over until the fat lady sings! The bulk of 2013 giving hasn’t even happened yet—online gifts are still to come!
7. Donors: Somewhere, Out There…In a Call Center (Cygresearch): It’s not just in the “thanks” once they’ve donated—it’s being there for your donors the way they’ve been there for you and your nonprofit.
8. Younger Donors/Gen Y/Millennials: The Rise of Technology and Fundraising Education (FundraisingSuccessMag): There’s an increase in fundraising courses and degrees in colleges and universities —it’s a whole new world and there are more fundraisers in it!
9. Direct Mail: Creating a Direct Mail Letter that Sticks (AchieveGuidance): Your year-end direct mail appeals should be hitting mailboxes right about…NOW! Did you start yours with the P.S.?
10. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Oxfam Canada’s ‘Threads of Change’ Campaign (Sofii): By including your donors in your missions, and not just asking them for money, they will be more inclined to give (AND get involved!).
Related AFP ResourcesNonprofit Videos (on a Budget) that Engage and Retain Donors
Transformational Giving: A Different Approach to the Fundraising Case For Support
Blackbaud Report on Online Giving
Different Connections-Working With Colleagues and Donors with Disabilities
Fundraising Professional Hail New York Case Settlement, Encourage Donors to Take Wise Giving Steps