Top Ten: 2013 #GivingTuesday Recap!
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Giving Tuesday: The opening day of the giving season is here (GlobeAdvisor): Canada launched their first #GivingTuesday in a big way! See how some Canadian organizations joined the movement—and how they’re continuing the efforts past #GivingTuesday!
2. Giving Tuesday Show Robust Results (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): The numbers are in, and #GivingTuesday 2013 was bigger than ever—online donations nearly doubled from 2012!
3. Leveraging Your ‘Circle of Competence’ This #GivingTuesday (LinkedIn): Tap your inner “circle of competence” for a successful #GivingTuesday campaign. That’s what Warren Buffet’s son did—and he encourages you to do the same in the future!
4. Giving Tuesday Smashes Records, Spurs 90% Donation Spike (HuffingtonPost): Quadrupled the partners, nearly doubled online donations, and supported by President Bill Clinton—how will we top #GivingTuesday in 2014?
5. Why Tuesday Is the Best Day Ever (HuffPostImpact): TV and movie star Kevin Bacon talks about his passion for #GivingTuesday, and why it’s his favorite day of the year!
6. How #GivingTuesday Used Social Media to Create a Global Day of Giving (SocialMediaToday): Utilizing crowdsourcing, storytelling and major online influencers like Google, Virgin Mobile, Bill Gates and the Kardashians, it’s clear that #GivingTuesday further mastered the online social atmosphere.
7. Top 10 #GivingTuesday Tweets: What They Teach Us for Fundraising on Twitter (SalsaLabs): Ten of the top tweets from #GivingTuesday broken into four categories: conveying impact, making the ask, storytelling and twitter best practices. 140 characters can make a big impact, especially when paired with a specific hashtag!
8. What is the Impact of #GivingTuesday? (Pursuant): We may not see the full impact of this movement for several years—in the meantime, there are some benchmarks your nonprofit can compare to in order to prepare for the years of #GivingTuesday ahead!
9. Inside The #GivingTuesday Numbers: Will American Philanthropy Grow? (Forbes): Steve MacLaughlin, Director of Blackbaud’s Idea Lab, gives insight on the future of #GivingTuesday and the impact it will (hopefully will) have.
10. #GivingTuesday Lights Up Generosity (and Time Square)! (BethKanter): #GivingTuesday takes social media by storm and makes a lot of noise—the #GivingTuesday hashtag was used 269,000 times in 24-hours! But was it TOO much noise?