Top Ten: A Playbook To Kickstart Your Nonprofit’s #GivingTuesday Campaign (November 20, 2013)
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Fundraising Research: Why Women Thrive in Political Fundraising (TheWire): Men may dominate in politics, lobbying and government, but women dominate in political fundraising.
2. Volunteer Management: Narrow the Focus (FundraisingSuccessMag): Don’t bombard volunteers with overwhelming tasks. Be realistic – they’re human volunteers, not magicians!
3. Fundraising Research: Nonprofit groups need more financial transparency (WildCat.Arizona): As the number of nonprofits grows (24 percent within 10 years), so does the need for transparency. The more, the merrier!
4. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Fundraising101 From Captain Obvious (Social.Razoo): The fundraising basics will ALWAYS be the basics. Ask, answer, take the road less traveled and don’t give up.
5. Direct Mail: Tutorial 52 – executive directors: learn to love a fundraising letter. (Sofii): Executive Directors: it’s time to stop fearing the fundraising appeal letter. Take a deep breath and be yourself. Follow these ten tips to help get you through!
6. Younger Donors/Gen Y/Millennials: How to Make Your Email Campaigns Stand Out with Millennials (AchieveGuidance): If Millennials are “over” emails from nonprofits, how do you get through to them? Here are four ways to help you break through.
7. Email: 4 Tips for Reaching the Inbox (TargetMarketingMag): Get your email through the spam and past the delete-frenzy of appeal emails—get it read!
8. Donors: Why Asking and Thanking Donors is All Wrong (101fundraising): You’re going about it all wrong—stop asking your donors for money and start offering them the chance to HELP!
9. Miscellaneous: U.S. Giving for Philippines Relief on Pace to Hit $1-Billion (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): U.S. giving to the Philippines relief projected to catch up to giving number for the 2011 Haitian earthquake and the 2004 Tsunami.
10. Campaigns: A Playbook To Kickstart Your Nonprofit’s #GivingTuesday Campaign (BethKanter): Four steps to a successful #GivingTuesday campaign—Set goals, incentivize giving, engage online and excite offline, and then follow-up…again, and again, and again.