Top Ten: How Nonprofits Are Blowing It With Their Future Source of Revenue (November 13, 2013)
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: How Nonprofits Are Blowing It With Their Future Source of Revenue (HuffingtonPost): Direct mail may be the Baby Boomer choice of channel, but not Millennials! Forecasting a major nonprofit shift within five years.
2. Email: How to Craft Donation Appeal Emails That Always Convert (FirstGiving): Be frank in your appeals: This is how much money I’m asking for, this is why, and this is what it will do!
3. Donors: 6 Ways to Raise More Money without New Donors! (MichaelRosenSays): Make the most with the donors you have! Don’t be afraid to ask for more this year—what do you have to lose?
4. Donors: 7 Little-Known Secrets That Will Get You a Visit with Your Donor (Bloomerang): Ease into a donor visit (keyword: visit, not appointment)—make it relaxed and conversational, not business.
5. Year-end Fundraising: Who’s Asking During Your Year-end Appeal? (BigDuck): While you contemplate your year-end appeals make sure you’re factoring in WHO’s doing the asking.
6. Direct Mail: Are We Witnessing a Gradual Downsizing of the Mail? (DirectMarketingIQ): Direct mail isn’t dead, but it sure it smaller—in size, that is! Nonprofits go from #10s to postcard sizes.
7. Miscellaneous: Christmas Spirit Still Embodies Generosity (WildcatArizona): The Christmas spirit starts a little early these days—especially for fundraisers! ‘Tis the season to give back.
8. Planned Giving: Nonprofits, Donors Must Be Clear on Fund Type Use (CrainsDetroit): Lay out the details on an entire endowment plan to ensure donors will stay on board. No what the type of endowment, have a plan!
9. Special Events: #GivingTuesday: One Month Countdown to December 3 Energizes Partners and New Discussions about Giving Back (SFGate): Big names (think Hugh Jackman, Bill Gates and Kenneth Cole) join the #GivingTuesday movement and help push it ahead.
10. Fundraising Approach/Strategy: Nonprofit Storytelling Breaking Bad Style (GettingAttention): [Infographic] Get ready to break bad on your nonprofit storytelling methods. Literally—channel your inner Breaking Bad character!