Top Ten Things: Want to Acquire New Donors? (Oct. 23, 2013)
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Younger Donors/Gen Y/Millennials: Editorial: Nonprofits cultivate young givers (NapaValleyRegister): Grabbing the attention of young donors is a catalog of nonprofits to choose from—the same way they would choose a new outfit!
2. Government Relations: Shutdown Watch: A Testing Ground for Philanthropy Replacing Government? (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): Nonprofits stepped in during the midst of the government shutdown. Someone had to run things…
3. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Pixar’s 22 Rules of Storytelling (QueerIdeas.co.uk): 22 motto’s for fundraisers and nonprofits, especially number 14—there’s a reason for your story!
4. Donors: Major Donor Visits: Your Questions and My Ruthlessly Practical Answers (FiredUpFundraising): These scenarios may have happened to you—see how to handle them in the future.
5. Volunteer Management: 4 Decision-Making Errors That Cripple Nonprofit Boards (NonprofitHub): It’s not always black or white, or yes or no—widen your perspective!
6. Online/Social Media: The New Way on Social Media Vanity Metrics (Frogloop): It’s not all about the numbers. Quality over quantity—measure your impact, not your followers.
7. Donors: Want To Acquire Donors? (TheAgitator): Know the best way to acquire new donors? Through social media? Nope. Through direct mail? Guess again. It’s through CURRENT donors!
8. Donors: How to Get a 2nd Gift from New Donors (TheFundraisingAuthority): They say the second kiss is more important and telling than the first. The same goes for the second gift from a donor!
9. Donors: Please, Treat Me Like a Major Donor (NonprofitCharitableOrgs): Want to keep your donors? Thank them, dote on them, and treat them like a major donor— not a small fish in a big sea of money.
10. Fundraising Research: Annual Report Inspirations (Branded4GoodMarketing): Already finished your 2012 annual report? Look ahead to your 2013 report and take some inspiration from some of the best in 2012!
Related AFP ResourcesDifferent Connections-Working With Colleagues and Donors with Disabilities
Fundraising Professional Hail New York Case Settlement, Encourage Donors to Take Wise Giving Steps
Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL)
Where to Go Now for Canadian Fundraising Information
Assess Your Year-End Appeals—Are You Doing Them Right?