Canada Revenue Agency – Toolbox for Directors, Officers and Volunteers
In an effort to help registered charities understand and meet their requirements and obligations, the Charities Directorate has assembled a page of key resources for directors, officers and volunteers. These resources will help individuals within your charity who manage day to day operations familiarize themselves with important information required to maintain the charity’s charitable registration.
- Basic Guidelines for Maintaining Charitable Registration (Checklist)
- Links to important information on the Charities and Giving Web pages
- Maintaining charitable registration (Resource manual)
- My Business Account
- Sample official donation receipts
About the Charities Directorate
The Charities Directorate is responsible for all program activities related to the provisions of the Income Tax Act regarding registered charities, Registered Canadian Amateur Athletic Associations (RCAAAs), Registered National Arts Service Organizations (RNASOs) and federal political parties (contributions to registered political parties or to a candidate at a federal election).
In particular, the Directorate is responsible for:
- reviewing applications for registration as a charity, RCAAA or RNASO;
- providing information, guidance and advice on maintaining registered status;
- ensuring that registered organizations comply with registration requirements through a balanced program of education, service, and responsible enforcement;
- developing policy and providing information, communication, and education programs for the charitable sector and for donors;
- engaging with the charitable sector, other government departments, and other levels of government; and
- supporting the Canada Revenue Agency's role in combating the financing of terrorism in support of the Charities Registration (Security Information) Act.
For more information, go to http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/menu-eng.html.