Top Ten Things: Top Ten: CNN’s Anderson Cooper Pops Off about the Nonprofit Sector: He Has a Point (Sept. 10, 2013)
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Online/Social Media: The secret to writing better ‘Donate’ and ‘Volunteer’ pages (NonprofitMarCommunity): When is the last time you took a detailed look at your volunteer and donor webpages and updated them? Go, NOW! And follow this outline.
2. Younger Donors/Gen Y/Millennials: ‘Next Gen’ Has No Monopoly On Wise, Caring Givers (TheJewishWeek): Are the next generation of donors SO different from the “older” generations of donors? Maybe not, says a veteran fundraiser.
3. Small Shops: East-to-implement legacy giving strategies for small nonprofits (PhilanthropyJournal): Small shops: don’t five that “understaffed” and “stretched thin” excuse for not asking for legacy giving—you can do it!
4. Donors: Station WNED, Buffalo and Toronto: ‘thank you’ card to a donor (Sofii): Responses to donors don’t have to be expensive or flashy, just personal and attentive! It makes all the difference.
5. Donors: 10 things that will make your donors say “Wow!” (PamelaGrow): Ten suggestions AND actual samples on how to “wow” a donor. Let’s get those retention rates up people!
6. Technology: Top Nonprofit Software (NonprofitSoftware): An infographic by Capterra shows the top 20 most popular nonprofit softwares—are you utilizing any of the best-of-the-best?
7. Fundraising Strategies/Approach: Wise Words About Charities And Branding (TheAgitator): Branding really is everything for your nonprofit—it’s how people perceive you. Get branded or get lost in the sauce!
8. Miscellaneous: CNN’s Anderson Cooper Pops Off about the Nonprofit Sector: He Has a Point (NonprofitQuarterly): It doesn’t take a genius to raise skepticism about a charity. Make sure you have nothing to hide when the whistle blows!
9. Online/Social Media: The science behind viral content (Razoo): Going viral—there’s not really a science, more of a “chance”. But there is SOME rhyme and reason—see the videos that hit it big, and why.
10. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: At end of line, charities are cashing in (CapeCodTimes): “Checkout charities”—you’re faced with this almost everywhere you go now. Do you sheepishly decline, or do you chip in? Studies show, you’re chipping in.
Related AFP ResourcesStumped About Fundraising Ethics? AFP Can Help You
Nonprofit Organizations with Active Fundraising Boards More Likely to Meet Goal
Initiatives and Programs Planned for AFP Canada
Building a Major Gifts Pipeline Despite BIG Obstacles
AFP Chapter Events - March 2012 AFP eWire Special Canada Edition