Top Ten Things: Top 5 Fundraising Ideas from The Next Generation of American Giving (Sept. 3, 2013)
There’s so much information online that you’re bound to have missed some of it, especially over the holidays. Here are some of the top items, articles and ideas you need to know so you can keep up-to-date and find success.
1. Donors: Focusing on Donors, Not the Charity, in Your Appeals (TheChronicleofPhilanthropy): Show donors the individual impact—send an email directly “from” those that will be affected by their donation!
2. Online/Social Media: 7 Fabulous Nonprofit Videos on Vine and Instagram (Beth’sBlog): Still wondering whether your nonprofit should be using Vine or Instagram video? Here’s some inspiration!
3. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: How to Make Influencer Marketing Work for You (HuffingtonPost): Treat influence marketers like a new friend—build a relationship, don’t shove your business down their throat!
4. Leadership: How to Differentiate Great Leaders from Good Leaders (LinkedIn): How to be a GREAT leader, not just a good leader: be self-aware, be in love with the organization/mission, have a dream!
5. Online/Social Media: Infographic: The demographics of social media users (Ragan): Find out where your target demographic is spending their social media time and move in!
6. Corporate Philanthropy: State Bags: Philanthropy and Back to School Style in One (Joonbug): Corporate philanthropy is changing the way they “gove” and are getting their “hands dirty” by giving directly to make an impact.
7. Direct Mail: Read This Before You Mail Another Postcard (DirectMarketingIQ): Look at your direct mail postcard: Would it catch your attention? Maybe you should reassess before wasting a stamp!
8. Younger Donors/Gen Y/Millennials: Generational Differences in Giving (FoundationCenter): One-stop shop resources on working with generational differences for nonprofits.
9. Younger Donors/Gen Y/Millennials: Top 5 Fundraising Ideas from The Next Generation of American Giving [+Slides] (npEngage): Mantra: Know your donors well (including birthdays!), direct mail isn’t dead, and live and breathe social media and multi-channel giving.
10. Fundraising Strategy/Approach: Who are you people and what do you want from me? (TheGrid): An inside look at “street askers” may change the way you snuff the next fundraiser that approaches you on the street.