AFP's Faculty Training Academy
AFP's Faculty Training Academy (FTA) prepares instructors to take leadership positions in AFP's professional education programs and to serve as peer mentors for other AFP course instructors. Program graduates are referred to as AFP Master Trainers.
The FTA, a two-day seminar for experienced fundraising instructors, was developed in 1999-2000 by the AFP Education Curriculum Committee in collaboration with the Indiana University Center on Philanthropy in Indianapolis.
The goal of the FTA is to ensure quality in education by formally training instructors. Academy graduates are expected to serve as Fundamentals of Fundraising and/or CFRE Review Course instructors and as mentors to other course faculty. The ultimate goal is to make available to all chapters at least one Master Teacher.
The Faculty Training Academy has been offered eight times: in January 2000, February 2002, June 2004, June 2006, June 2008, April 2010, October 2010, and November 2011. To date, there are 242 AFP Master Trainers across the world.
A. Candidates must:
- Possess extensive successful experience in the nonprofit field and be thoroughly knowledgeable of the fundraising process.
- Have completed a minimum of 45 contact hours of continuing education in fundraising within the past three years.
- Demonstrate success in teaching adult students during the three years prior to application to the Academy.
- Have successful experience in evaluating and/or supervising peers.
- Be endorsed by their local AFP Chapter Vice President for Education and Professional Development or Chapter President.
- Be currently working in fundraising.
- CFRE Credential
B. FTA applicants are asked to agree to serve as faculty for a minimum of three AFP courses (Fundamentals of Fundraising Course and/or CFRE Review Course) over a period of two years following graduation from the Academy.
Preference is given to individuals who currently work in fundraising or who are recently retired. Registration is limited to 35 trainees per session.
Upcoming AFP Faculty Training Academy Information
The next offering of the AFP Faculty Training Academy will be March 21 & 22, 2014, in San Antonio, Texas. The AFP Faculty Training Academy will be offered prior to the AFP International Conference (March 23-25, 2014) as an enrichment workshop. Please find additional information below:
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Dates and Times:
• March 21, 2014 – 8:00am to 5:00pm
• March 22, 2014 - 8:00am to 5:00pm
The Faculty Training Academy is a two-day, “train-the-trainer” program that will teach participants how to be better educators, mentors and presenters and will focus on adult learning concepts and teaching techniques. This includes learning styles and training methods, lesson plans, ice breakers and energizers, forms of delivery, handling questions, giving directions, facilitating discussions and working with difficult trainees. On the second day, each participant will present a 10-minute training session in front of their colleagues demonstrating new training techniques learned in the academy. In order to attend the AFP Faculty Training Academy, you must meet the eligibility requirements above. Please note that there is no on-site registration and lunch is not provided.
FTA Registration Fees:
$475 – Rate with Full AFP International Conference Registration
$575 – Rate without Full AFP International Conference Registration
Important Application and Approval Information:
- AFP Faculty Training Academy participation is contingent upon pre-approval to attend based on above criteria.
- Please register for the FTA online first. Upon registration, you will be sent via email an application to attend the AFP Faculty Training Academy. You will then need to complete and return the application to the AFP Professional Advancement Division.
- Once AFP receives your application, you will be contacted by an AFP volunteer to confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements outlined above. Please make any necessary travel arrangements once you are approved to attend. You will receive a full refund of the registration fee if it is determined that the eligibility requirements are not met.
- Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For questions, please contact Professional Advancement at email@example.com or call (703) 519-8494.