AFP Canada Leadership Post: AFP Canadian Council Website Welcome
by Karen Mercier, CFRE, AFP Canadian Council Chair
The AFP Canadian Council was established to support the mission and strategic objectives of AFP in Canada and includes membership from fundraising professionals from across the country. It serves to work in partnership, and not replicate, the roles and activities of the Canadian AFP Chapters and AFP International.
Through our work, the Council strives to be inclusive, consultative, transparent, strategic and action oriented. We seek to build linkages to other organizations in the non-profit sector and represent the unique voice of the AFP membership in Canada. This is done by providing a national voice for the fundraising profession to government, media, key professional organizations and other interested parties at the national level, in accordance with the AFP governance structure and the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards.
AFP Canadian Council serves several roles including:
- Serving as a catalytic forum for discussion of Canadian and/or AFP International issues and to network among the Canadian chapters via chapter leaders. The Council advocates on behalf of and together with Canadian chapters and members for Canadian issues as they arise;
- Promoting public understanding of philanthropy and philanthropic fundraising. It also supports the promotion of public awareness of the fundraising profession and ethical fundraising practices;
- Through collaboration with the Government Relations Committee, it conducts activities that maintain and develop legislation favourable to philanthropy;
- Supports the creation of new Canadian chapters and strengthen existing chapters, by sharing good practices, and synchronizing or coordinating programs. It also implements programs that ensure cultural and social diversity in the membership and the leadership;
- Fosters international cooperation and knowledge exchange with other AFP national councils; and
- Works closely with the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy - Canada to enhance the member experience and support research, scholarship and diversity programming.
The AFP Canadian Council aligns itself with the AFP International Strategic Plan and adapts it for application in Canada to strengthen the sector and provide leadership to the fundraising profession in Canada, while promoting philanthropy.
Related AFP ResourcesMega-Gift Donors Focusing on Higher Education
New Organization to Help Higher Ed Donors Attach Strings to Gifts
FAQ: Contribution dates for year-end gifts
Web/Audioconference: Twelve 'Deadly' Mistakes of Major Gift Campaigns and How to Avoid Them!
Giving to Education Causes Expected to Grow More Slowly