CFRE Application Now Online
(May 19, 2006) CFRE International, the organization that manages the Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential, has announced that a new web-based application form is now available for all applicants.
Whether fundraisers are initial applicants for the CFRE or recertifying, the online application allows them to make updates and corrections throughout the process and automatically calculates candidate points for each section. A summary page tracks an applicant’s process toward the requirement, and individuals can password protect their accounts to store their information and data over time.
The new form will enable candidates to track educational experiences and professional achievements as they happen, reducing the need to maintain paper files at home or the office. It also will help reduce point application errors that can delay the processing of a candidates’ application.
The CFRE process requires a comprehensive application followed by a written exam. Individuals interested in the CFRE designation must have at least five years of paid, professional practice in fundraising, meet all of the minimum eligibility requirements and pass the written exam.
The new application was beta tested at the AFP International Conference on Fundraising in Atlanta, and is available on the CFRE website.
Certification shows the public that fundraisers are committed to the highest ethical and professional standards and have gained significant levels of competence in their work. In addition, AFP’s salary surveys show that fundraising professionals who are certified typically earn more than their noncertified counterparts. For example, the 2003 survey showed that CFREs earn, on average, 23 percent more than their noncertified counterparts.
CFRE International offers many other reasons for becoming certified:
- Certification grants you more credibility. CFRE certification serves as an impartial, third-party endorsement of your knowledge and experience against international standards in philanthropy. It adds to your credibility as a fundraiser and sets you apart from other professionals.
- Certification can improve career opportunities and advancement. CFRE certification can give you the “edge” when being considered for a promotion or other career opportunities. CFRE certification clearly identifies you as an employee who has demonstrated mastery of fundraising principles and techniques based on accepted best practices.
- Certification prepares you for greater on-the-job responsibilities. CFRE certification is a clear indicator of your willingness to invest in your own professional development. Certified professionals are aware of the constantly changing environment around their profession and possess the desire to anticipate and respond to change.
- Certification improves skills and knowledge. Typically, achieving CFRE certification requires training, study and “keeping up” with changes. CFRE certification showcases your individual mastery by confirming proficiency and knowledge in the field. CFRE certification also requires recertification every three years, proving you stay ahead of the curve in fundraising.
- Certification may provide for greater earnings potential. Many fundraising professionals who have become CFRE certificants experience salary and wage increases based on their certification status. Studies show that on average CFRE certificants earn 17 percent more than their noncertified counterparts. In addition, CFRE certificants are in high demand internationally.
- Certification demonstrates your commitment to the fundraising profession. Receiving CFRE certification shows your peers, supervisors and, in turn, donors your commitment to your chosen career and your ability to perform to set standards.
- Certification enhances the profession’s image. The CFRE certification program seeks to grow, promote and develop certified professionals, who can stand “out in front” as role models in the fundraising field.
- Certification reflects achievement. CFRE certification is a reflection of personal achievement because the individual has displayed mastery of his or her field by meeting requirements and standards set in philanthropy.
- Certification builds self-esteem. CFRE certification is a step toward defining yourself beyond a job description or academic degree while gaining a sense of personal satisfaction.
- Certification offers greater recognition from peers. As a CFRE certificant, you can expect increased recognition from your peers for taking that extra step in your professional career.
AFP members are encouraged to become certified as soon as they are able. CFRE certificants also can earn the Advanced Certified Fund Raising Executive (ACFRE) credential, offered by AFP. For more information about the ACFRE, click here.