How to host the AFP CFRE Refresher Course
The AFP CFRE Refresher Course provides an overview of the development function for fundraising professionals who would like to improve their development skills, learn to raise money more efficiently or build upon their current development skills. It is designed for fundraising professionals at the three-year or above level of experience who may be preparing the CFRE Certification Exam. However, the course is also applicable to other mid-level practitioners.
Its content is organized around the CFRE exam domains: Current and Prospective Donor Research, Securing the Gift, Relationship Building, Volunteer Involvement, Leadership and Management, and Ethics, Accountability, and Professionalism. Participants engage in fundraising problem-solving with top-notch professionals and network with fundraising peers in a highly interactive environment. This is not a course conducted with lecture.
Faculty materials are provided to the sponsoring organization for distribution to the facilitator faculty members. Printed participant manuals are ordered by the sponsoring organization for distribution to each registrant.
Who may host a CFRE Refresher Course?
- AFP IHQ
- AFP chapters
- Partnering organizations other than AFP chapters
Some key points regarding the AFP CFRE Refresher Course—
Length of Course – The AFP CFRE Refresher Course is set up so that a chapter may choose how long to conduct it. It can be offered over an intensive 8 hours – within a single day. Or, the host chapter may choose to offer it with a 16 -hour course length, for two days, to allow more time for interaction on each of the domains, or even to extend it over successive weeks. Whatever the length, the chapter must follow the format of the manual. A typical schedule each day is 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
CFRE Points – CFRE International grants 1 point for each contact hour spent attending educational conference sessions or workshops (does not include breaks). For the AFP CFRE Refresher Course, that is 8 points when conducted in the intensive 8-hour one-day session, and 16 points if the time is 16 contact hours over two days for more interactive discussion.
Facilitation Format -- The course is not presented in a lecture format; rather, it is a combination of a high-level review, self-exploration of knowledge and peer exchange of best practices – all of which are facilitated by a knowledgeable fundraising practitioner using a caselet approach.
Number of Faculty – This revised course, with its increased focus on the interactive, is best conducted by just two or three facilitators, working together through the entire course – rather than a different person for each segment. After reading through the requirements, it will help focus your search for faculty.
Requirements of Faculty – Each facilitator faculty member must:
- Have a minimum of a current CFRE or ACFRE credential
- Have facilitation skills and – prior to the class – participate in a special free Webinar to learn how to facilitate this new course.
Click Here to Access "The CFRE Refresher Course Facilitation Process" Webinar!
- Be knowledgeable about the subjects in the Domains
- Be able to communicate effectively in front of a group.
- Carefully read, fill in requested information, sign and submit two forms to the Site Coordinator, who then forwards all the signed faculty agreement forms to AFP IHQ for approval. These two required forms are:
- TRAINER APPLICATION FORM for the AFP CFRE Refresher Course (included in the host toolkit) – addresses matters related to the needed facilitation skills and subject matter knowledge of each faculty member.
- FACULTY AGREEMENT FORM for the AFP CFRE Refresher Course (included in the host toolkit) – addresses commitment to respect and follow requirements related to the use of intellectual property of AFP and maintaining a consistent standard.
Domains Replace Modules – The AFP CFRE Refresher Course is organized differently – by the six knowledge domains of the CFRE exam (rather than the previous nine Modules). Thus, the agenda is different from the previous version. Domains include:
- Current and Prospective Donor Research
- Securing the Gift
- Relationship Building
- Volunteer Involvement
- Leadership and Management
- Ethics, Accountability and Professionalism
Pricing – For pricing and other information on hosting a CFRE Review Course, contact AFP International Headquarters at AFPInternationalConference@afpnet.org or email@example.com , or if needed call (703) 519-8465 or (703) 519-8494 or toll free at (800) 666-3863, ext. 465 or 494.