Call for 2015 U.S. Foundation Board Nominations
April 3, 2014
The Nomination Period for both the AFP Board of Directors and the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy Board of Directors is now closed. Thank you!
On behalf of the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy it is my privilege as Chair of the Committee on Directorship to invite you to participate actively in the Foundation’s nominating process this year. Members of the Committee on Directorship rely heavily on our colleagues to identify experienced and committed candidates who are uniquely suited to govern and lead the Foundation as members of our Board of Directors. Your personal engagement in identifying outstanding candidates is essential to our future success and will guarantee that the Foundation’s board continues to be representative of the finest leaders in the profession.
I urge you or your chapter to nominate any qualified candidate to serve on the Foundation Board who has distinguished himself or herself by serving on the AFP or AFP Foundation board, holding an officer position, and/or serving in a chapter leadership role. Individuals who have served previously may return to the board after a minimum one-year break in service, but are not eligible to serve in an Officer position they have previously held.
This is an exciting time for the Foundation, as we are expanding our support for the fundraising profession. The AFP Foundation is responsible for generating resources to fund strategic initiatives that support its mission to advance ethical and effective fundraising. The Foundation’s continued success depends on personal commitment and active involvement of all members of the board of directors in matters of fundraising and governance.
Individuals elected to serve on the board must embrace the responsibility to lead and demonstrate the capacity to support the Foundation’s mission. Foundation board members are expected to be vigorous advocates and enthusiastic and effective communicators, as well as play an integral role in the Foundation’s fundraising, research, education and leadership development initiatives.
Positions Available in 2015
On July 17, 2014, the Committee on Directorship will meet to prepare a slate of 24 candidates for election in 2014 to serve on the Board of Directors beginning January 1, 2015. We are seeking nominations for seven positions including:
- Three officers (including Vice Chair for Annual Giving; Vice Chair For Major Gifts; and Secretary/Treasurer). The incumbents have served the two term maximum and may not seek another term in their current positions;
- Three directors, all of whom have served the two term maximum and may not seek another term in a director position; and
- Four directors, currently serving a first term, who are eligible to apply for a second term as director.
Officers and directors whose terms will expire on December 31, 2014 are eligible to apply for the 2015 Chair-elect or an officer position.
All candidates seeking re-election must submit a 2015 application.
You may nominate yourself, a colleague, or invite your chapter to nominate you or a colleague. Prior to making a nomination, please carefully review the criteria for service.
AFP Foundation Board nomination forms and related information as well as a list of current Foundation Board members are available below.
Please provide as much relevant information as possible about the candidate. Some candidates may be asked to supply supplementary information to the committee to ensure thoughtful consideration. Please contact your nominee in advance of submitting the nomination to determine willingness to serve. Finally, a current brief bio and photo must accompany the completed nomination form.
Chair-elect nominations must be submitted by June 20, 2014. All other Officer and Director nominations must be submitted by June 27, 2014.
Evaluation criteria used by the committee to select officers and directors include:
• A record of meaningful giving to the AFP Foundation and advocacy for professional fundraising
• Extensive experience and documented expertise in fundraising;
• Volunteer service to AFP, philanthropy and the fundraising community locally, nationally and/or internationally;
• Experience and/or employment in the profession or in an industry sector that serves philanthropy and/or fundraising;
• Leadership skills needed to govern a professional foundation;
• Specific leadership needs of the Foundation at the time candidate is being considered.
• Advocacy for diversity and inclusion within the fundraising profession and the philanthropy community;
• AFP Membership current and in good standing (signed the Code of Ethical Principles and Standards).
Thank you in advance for taking an active role in this year’s nomination process and for encouraging your chapter to do the same. Should you have any questions whatsoever about the process, please don’t hesitate to contact me, our staff or any member of the Committee on Directorship. We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate all you DO and GIVE to promote excellence.
Gary L. Good, CFRE
Immediate Past Chair, AFP Foundation for Philanthropy
Chair, Committee on Directorship
Members of the 2014 Committee on Directorship
Gary L. Good, CFRE, Chair
Patrick J. Feeley, CFRE
Alice L. Ferris, ACFRE
Kevin J. Foyle, CFRE
Audrey P. Kintzi, ACFRE
Susan F. Rice, Ed.D, ACFRE
Janice Gow Pettey, Ed.D, CFRE
Susan Earl Hosbach, CFRE
Donald G. Rizzo, CFRE
Andrew Watt, FInstF