AFP Research, Statistics and Reports
- Explore the Resource Center's practical toolkits and resources
- Read the latest articles and releases on new reports and research
- Visit the AFP Hot Topic: Research Reports page
AFP Foundation for Philanthropy - Canada Research Grants Available!
The AFP Foundation for Philanthropy - Canada in its mandate to support research on philanthropy, fundraising and the fundraising profession in Canada invites submissions for research grants. Grants totaling up to $10,000 will be awarded to project(s) based on meeting selection criteria. Submissions are due by June 15, 2013, and grant notification will be awarded by August 31, 2013. Information on grant selection criteria, research project guidelines and submission contact may be found below:
AFP Compensation & Benefits Report
AFP's Compensation & Benefits Study provides valuable data on the characteristics of individual fundraisers – backgrounds, experience, and responsibilities – and paints a picture of the current state of the profession.
- AFP 2013 Compensation & Benefits Report
- AFP 2012 Compensation & Benefits Report
- AFP 2011 Compensation & Benefits Report
- AFP 2010 Compensation & Benefits Report
- AFP 2009 Compensation & Benefits Report
- AFP 2008 Compensation & Benefits Report
Order the AFP 2013 Compensation & Benefits Report: The 2013 AFP Compensation and Benefits Report is available free to AFP members on the Members Only section of the AFP website. Nonmembers may purchase the 132-page report for $150. For more information, contact the AFP Professional Advancement Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2012 Annual Report
- 2011 Annual Report
- 2010 Annual Report
- 2009 Annual Report
- 2008 Annual Report
- 2007 Annual Report
- 2006 Annual Report
- 2005 Annual Report
- 2004 Annual Report
AFP Holiday Survey
AFP Strategic Plans
AFP State of Fundraising
The AFP State of Fundraising survey was developed in response to the events of Sept. 11, 2001. The Association issues yearly reports to track fundraising levels among AFP members' organizations.
- 2009 AFP State of Fundraising survey
- 2008 AFP State of Fundraising survey
- All AFP State of Fundraising surveys
The Nonprofit Research Collaborative (NRC) is composed of seven organizations that each have, at a minimum, a decade of direct experience collecting information from nonprofits concerning charitable receipts, fundraising practices and/or grantmaking activities.
- Funds Raised Increased at 58 Percent of US and Canadian Charities in 2012 (April 2013)
- Fundraising Results Overall Stall Mid-Year (Nov. 2012)
- Nonprofit Organizations with Active Fundraising Boards More Likely to Meet Goal (January-February 2012 Survey)
- Winter 2012 Survey (Apr. 2012)
- Late Fall 2011 Survey (Dec. 2011)
- Summer-Early Fall 2011 Survey (Sept. 2011)
- Year-End Survey (Winter 2010)
- Fall 2010 Survey (Oct. 2010)
Additional AFP Research and Statistics
New! What Canadian Donors Want: Information, Impact and to Help Those in Need
(Feb. 3, 2014) The 2013 What Canadian Donors Want Survey of more than 1,000 donors across Canada, found that more Canadians than ever are knowledgeable about charities and researching before they give, but many are not sure about the impact their gifts are having. For a full breakdown of the survey, including six fact sheets on the various aspects of the survey in both English and French, click here.
Between Intention and Final Distribution: An Examination of the Barriers to Charitable Estate Transfers (Russell N. James III, J.D., Ph.D.)
Final Report Submitted to the Association of Fundraising Professionals Research Council.
Fundraising Effectiveness Project
The Fundraising Effectiveness Project (FEP) seeks to help nonprofits increase giving at a faster pace.
The Legacy Leaders Reports
AFP has funded two important research projects through its Legacy Leaders Planned Giving Research Grants program.
AFP Think Tanks
Fundraising research has not kept pace with the explosive growth of charitable organizations and fundraising personnel. To bridge this gap, AFP has instituted a series of Think Tanks on Fundraising Research.
Latest AFP research
AFP has assumed a leadership role in the advancement of research on fundraising and philanthropy through a number of initiatives. Learn more about AFP's research efforts.
AFP is pleased to provide a discussion guide and four PowerPoint presentations on "Leadership, Governance and Giving" for use in developing chapter programs on these topics. The materials result from the AFP Research Council Think Tank held in October 2008 in Orlando, Florida. AFP is grateful to the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy and the Edyth Bush Charitable Foundation for providing funding for the think tank.