Social Media Has Growing Impact on Peer-to-Peer Event Fundraising
(March 2, 2010) New research shows that social media tools lead to more successful fundraising for participants in charity events.
"In all cases, our research found that event participants who used social media tools set higher fundraising goals, reached more donors and raised more money," said Donna Wilkins, co-author of the paper and president of Charity Dynamics. "Additionally, we found that participants who achieved the strongest fundraising success were those that combined multiple social media tools."
As part of the research project, the team analyzed data from 1,750 events that provided social media tools to nearly 1 million participants during 2009.
Trends in Peer-to-Peer Events Fundraising
- Event participants that adopted integrated social media tools increased their fundraising by as much as 40 percent compared to their peers who weren't using the available online tools.
- Participants who used Twitter raised more money and reached more donors than non-Twitter users, tripled their personal fundraising goals and raised nearly 10 times more online.
- Fundraising via Facebook has evolved in both process and success from user initiated to organization-prompted to sophisticated Facebook applications that automate status updates by prompting participants throughout event campaigns.
- YouTube users performed the strongest offline compared to participants who were using other social media tools and are more likely to balance their use of both online and offline channels to tell their stories and conduct fundraising activities.
- Donors attracted through social media are more likely new to an organization. On average, 75 percent of donors through social media are new to organizations versus an average of 50 percent of all donors in support of participants.
Related AFP ResourcesNational Philanthropy Day® to Feature Countdown to Impact Challenge
Celebration of National Philanthropy Day® Celebrations a Huge Success!
Ipsos Reid fact sheets on “What Canadian donors want” available for download
Making Online Giving Easier and More Fun
Communities Across North America Celebrate National Philanthropy Day®