REPORT: 2014 Fundraising Technology Trends Study
In the “2014 Fundraising Technology Trends Study,” Find Accounting Software surveyed 142 fundraisers about their use of technology. As Managing Editor, Adam Bluemner notes, " ...technologies like contribution management software, social media and bitcoin are helping to make the world a better place." Furthermore, he states that by comparing technology use and effectiveness, patterns emerge.
Results of this survey have been recently released for the information and use of all nonprofit organisations. Some of the key findings of that study are summarized here.
- There is an optimal technology profile of a successful fundraiser. 83% of the fundraisers who achieved it describe their fundraising as either “effective” or “very effective.”To be even more specific, “very effective” fundraisers use on average:
> 3+ software management tools,
> 5+ communication channels,
> 3+ web-based tactics, and
> 3+ payment acceptance methods.
- Other key success factors included: Online donation acceptance, contributions management software usage, video content sharing, and blogging.
- Less than 10% of the nonprofits who responded met each criterion. But the organizations who achieved the best practice standards experienced exceptional results:
> 67% said their 2013 revenues were “considerably more” than 2012.
> 83% expect to grow 2014 revenues.
> 83% describe their organization as “effective” or “very effective” at raising money.
- Fundraisers believe in technology, but often lack it. 4 out of 5 fundraisers feel that better technology leads to fundraising success. But only 1 in 3 say they have the tools they need to be effective.
- Leveraging the web matters. Nonprofits who accept online donations are 24% more likely to have increased fundraising revenue last year. Tactics such as blogging and sharing video content increase the effectiveness further.
- Diversification is key. Using a greater variety of software, channels, and payment methods correlates strongly with fundraising success.
This study was co-sponsored by Cougar Mountain, Araize, and the Association of Fundraising Professionals. Read the full report, http://findaccountingsoftware.com/expert-advice/2014-fundraising-technology-trends-study/