Applications Open for CRA Charities Advisory Committee
(Dec. 12, 2005) The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is accepting applications for its Charities Advisory Committee, which provides advice and feedback to the agency on matters related to the regulation of registered charities, through December 16.
The committee is composed of 12 members from the charitable sector and meets three times per year with senior members of the CRA Charities Directorate and representatives from other government departments. Members serve three-year terms and work with government representatives to:
- Advise the Charities Directorate on administrative policy agenda,
- Identify and discuss emerging issues and trends,
- Communicate sector concerns to the Charities Directorate
- Discuss concerns regarding regulatory compliance, and
- Provide a forum for the exchange of information that affects CRA policies and programs.
Committee members are not paid for their time or services, but are reimbursed for travel-related expenses to attend meetings. Members are expected to devote appropriate time to reviewing materials and possibly researching particular issues.
How to Apply
There are currently five available positions available on the committee:
- 4 membership positions for terms of three years
- 1 membership position for a term of two years
The selected committee members will serve from April 1, 2006, to March 31, 2009, and from April 1, 2006, to March 31, 2008.
To apply, candidates must send a letter to the CRA with the following information:
- Name, address and email address
- Knowledge of the laws and policies governing registered charities
- Experience as an officer of at least one registered charity or as a representative of one or more registered charities
- Experience working in a team environment
- At least one of the following: A background in policy work AND/OR recognized communication skills AND/OR current familiarity with the issues and trends facing charities
Applicants should also include their resume.
The information can be emailed to CACN-CCCOB@ccra-adrc.gc.ca or faxed to (613) 948-1320. All applications must be received by December 16, 2005.
For more information, go to the CRA website.
Related AFP ResourcesCharitable Reforms Face Roadblock in the House
Congressional Committee Proposes New Limits on Charitable Deductions
Will U.S. Senate Hearing on Charity Abuses Spark Additional Legislation?
Canada Issues: March 2004 Public Policy Update
U.S. Federal Issues: February 2004 Public Policy Update