CRA Creates New Help Resource for Canadian Charities
(July 12, 2004) The Charities Directorate of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) recently created a new position at the agency to assist charities with issues or questions that cannot be dealt with through normal channels.
The new "Charities Representative" will help charities deal with issues related to the following:
- Complaints about the level or quality of service
- Standards of service that were not met
- Charities and individuals who do not feel they were treated in a fair and transparent manner
- Information requests from charities that need help to voluntarily comply
- Other complaints of a general nature
Charities should note that the representative cannot reverse application decisions or other technical determinations and can be consulted only after a charity has first tried to resolve its issues through the regular process.
The representative was in place on May 3, 2004, and will be available for one year under a pilot program. At the end of the period, the Charities Directorate will assess the results to see if the program should be continued or enhanced.
Organizations can reach the charities representative by calling toll-free 1-866-303-3016 (in the greater Ottawa area, call 613-948-8608) or via email at email@example.com.