AFP Announces International Awards for Philanthropy Honorees
April 8, 2013
A generous couple in Saskatchewan; an outstanding family foundation supporting causes around the world; a volunteer legend in Vancouver; a fundraising pioneer in Wisconsin; a dynamic brother-sister team in Georgia; an inspiring newspaper project in Calgary; and a heroic young woman in Minnesota are all recipients of the Association of Fundraising Professionals 2013 Awards for Philanthropy.
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) honored these individuals and organizations at its Celebration of Philanthropy awards event on April 6, 2013, in San Diego at the Marriott Marquis & Marina from 6:30 – 9:00 p.m. The 2013 honorees included:
- Leslie and Irene Dubé, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan: Outstanding Philanthropists, who froze their estates in order to focus on giving and have supported numerous healthcare, education, religious and anti-poverty organizations with million-dollar gifts.
- Martha Taylor, Madison, Wisconsin: Outstanding Fundraising Professional, a fundraising pioneer, award-winning author, leader in women’s philanthropy and the first woman vice president of development in the Big Ten who has raised hundreds of millions of dollars
- Anita Law, Vancouver, British Columbia: Outstanding Volunteer Fundraiser, honored for her incredible hands-on support of key causes and special events in Vancouver, often spending hundreds of hours each month on campaigns and personally responsible for millions of dollars of gifts through her solicitations and fundraising.
- Stiller Family Foundation: Outstanding Foundation, an innovative family foundation that supports causes around the world, providing funds to help others help themselves and realize their potential for success.
- The Calgary Herald, Calgary, Alberta: Outstanding Corporation, for its extraordinary Christmas Fund, which has raised millions of dollars for causes across Alberta and increased awareness of causes through editorial and advertising support in the newspaper.
- Marli Overgard, Chanhassen, Minnesota: Bob Carter Companies/William R. Simms Outstanding Youth Philanthropist, Individual, who honors the death of her cousin by raising funds to send teddy bears and blankets to children facing traumatic situations in hospitals and emergencies.
- Carter and Olivia Ries, Fayetteville, Georgia: Bob Carter Companies/William R. Simms Outstanding Youth Philanthropist, Group, a brother and sister team who have created their own charity, One More Generation, to lead efforts to help recycle and save endangered species.
“Each of these honorees has chosen to make a difference in the world by getting involved and motivating to join with them in pursuit of their noble causes,” said Andrew Watt, FInstF, president and CEO of AFP. “They are the epitome of philanthropy—love of humankind—and serve as our role models, inspiring us to follow in their footsteps. I congratulate them all and look forward to honoring them in San Diego.
More information on each of these honorees is available by contacting Michael Nilsen, vice president, public affairs, at (425) 241-4675.
Related AFP ResourcesJumping Out of a Plane...for AFP!
Learn Your Fundraising Personality Type and Work with Donors, Colleagues More Effectively
Study Links Charity Fundraising Results to Annual Fund Campaigns
2013 Award for Outstanding Foundation: Stiller Family Foundation
2013 Award for Outstanding Volunteer Fundraiser: Anita Law