Diversity to Inclusion Philanthropy Conference Series Continues in 2014
February 4, 2014
The Diversity to Inclusion in Philanthropy conference series is a groundbreaking project focused on understanding the philanthropic traditions and interests of diverse communities in Ontario.
Organized by the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy – Canada, in cooperation with our Toronto and Ottawa chapters, this project offers inclusion-oriented education, training and networking activities for Ontario-based nonprofit leaders, fundraisers, volunteers and donors.
This multi-year initiative, funded through the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration’s Partnership Project Office, features a series of one-day conferences, each focused on the charitable activities of one distinct community group. Benefitting from the input of leaders from within the charitable and nonprofit sectors, these conferences will bring together – for the first time – twelve different stakeholder groups representing a wide-range of perspectives.
To date, six sold-out conferences in Toronto and Ottawa have been held:
- Women and Philanthropy Conference
- Indigenous Philanthropy Conference
- Jewish Philanthropy Conference
- South Asian Philanthropy Conference
- Chinese Philanthropy Conference
- African-Caribbean Philanthropy Conference
In recognition of the early success of this project, both organizing chapters won the Charles R. Stephens Award for Excellence in Diversity, presented this past October in Pittsburgh, Pa. Online videos and presentations from these conferences are still available at http://afpinclusivegiving.ca/past-conferences/.
Upcoming 2014 conferences
The Next Gen Philanthropy Forum – March 11th, Ottawa
- Understand the giving trends and interests of next generation donors
- Explore ways to engage next generation donors in giving to charitable initiatives
- Develop inclusive relationship-building strategies
- Speak to critical issues and build strong cases for support within this community
For more information, http://afpinclusivegiving.ca/blog/youth-and-philanthropy-conference/
- LGBT Philanthropy Conference – April 24-25 (Toronto)
- Colloque-Philanthropie franco-ontarienne – May 2 (Ottawa)
- Muslim Philanthropy Conference – June 3 (Ottawa)
Interested in getting more involved? Contact either the Ottawa or Toronto AFP Chapter. In particular, volunteers with connections to the Hispanic (Toronto) and Differently-Abled (Ottawa) communities are currently being sought.
Related AFP ResourcesAFP Chapter Presidents in Canada Speak Out About National Philanthropy Day®
AFP Launches National Philanthropy Day® Mobile Website
A Need to Give: Special AFP/Globe and Mail Philanthropy Supplement
National Philanthropy Day® Celebrations in Full Swing
Interview with Former YIP Chair Katherine Falk