Initiatives and Programs Planned for AFP Canada
September 25, 2012
AFP chapter leaders from across the country convened in Halifax, NS on July 26 – 28, 2012 to discuss strategies and issues affecting the fundraising and philanthropic culture within Canada. The Retreat planned by the AFP Canadian Council, Canadian Government Relations Committee, AFP Foundation for Philanthropy – Canada and International Headquarters focused on the AFP in Canada Strategic Plan that will take Canadian initiatives through 2014.
The AFP in Canada Strategic Plan, which encompasses the overall AFP Strategic Plan, prioritized areas of focus specific to Canadian needs. Some of these initiatives include:
- Creating an inventory of all fundraising education being taught within Canada.
- Developing a tool kit for chapter leaders and members, providing resources to talk with government officials and the media about fundraising issues.
- Building meaningful relationships with government through education and two-way communication.
- Engaging the next generation in fundraising as a career path.
- Developing member resources and making them easily accessible for Canadian members.
- Exploring areas where AFP chapters should be formed.
- Using the Ontario grant to provide education to various diverse constituencies as a model for other parts of the country.
- Welcoming international fundraising professionals in Canada and creating a guide for chapters to use to make their experience productive.
The initiatives will be further refined with tactics and timelines by various committees and task forces within AFP. The volunteer structure is robust and opportunities abound at the chapter, national and international level.
If you are interested in getting involved in AFP, please contact Lori Gusdorf, AFP Vice President of Membership & Chapter Services at firstname.lastname@example.org