May 1, 2012
Information and resources for the Chapter Treasurer
The Treasurer shall be the fiscal officer for the chapter and is responsible for all funds, as outlined in the Chapter Bylaws.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain all financial records, collect debts, make payments as authorized by the Board of Directors
- Provide the President with financial information needed from chapter records for the annual report
- Maintain the chapter’s financial recording system and recommend improvements as necessary
- Deposit the monthly Chapter Reimbursement check from AFP International Headquarters, (or arrange to participate in AFP’s direct deposit process) and all other chapter receipts, in a timely manner
- Assist in preparation of the annual budget and monitor chapter expenditures
- Record checks and invoices from AFP International Headquarters in a timely manner
- Prepare financial statements
- Provide information to the Audit Committee appointed by the President
- Ensure that federal tax filings (U.S. Form 990 – Canadian Form T2) are prepared and mailed in a timely manner and that a copy is immediately mailed to IHQ
- Ensure that state/provincial requirements for charities registration are fulfilled, including initial registration, annual reports and/or financial documentation that may be required by law, as well as providing copies of filed documents to IHQ
- Turn over to the successor all chapter records and/or property immediately upon completion of term or resignation prior to completion of term.
Chapter Treasurer Orientation Webinar - Each year, in February, AFP IHQ hosts an orientation call for new Chapter Treasurers. You are able to access a recording of the audio and video from that call or just the slides from the presentation from the link provided.
Visit the online Chapter Leader Network for archived chapter submitted samples/resources, and discussion boards to network with other chapter leaders. Your login is your 3-digit chapter code for both username and password.