The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) represents more than 30,000 members in 233 chapters throughout the world, working to advance philanthropy through advocacy, research, education and certification programs. The association fosters development and growth of fundraising professionals and promotes high ethical standards in the fundraising profession.
AFP believes that to guarantee human freedom and social creativity, people must have the right to freely and voluntarily form organizations to meet perceived needs, advocate causes, and seek funds to support these activities. To guarantee these rights, AFP's purposes are to:
- Foster development and growth of fundraising professionals committed to the preserving and enhancing philanthropy.
- Establish a code of ethics and professional practices.
- Require member adherence to a professional code of ethical standards and practices.
- Provide training opportunities for fundraising professionals.
- Implement programs that ensure cultural and social diversity in our membership and leadership.
- Collect, research, publish, and disseminate historical, managerial, and technical information on philanthropy and philanthropic fundraising.
- Promote public understanding of philanthropy and philanthropic fundraising.
- Conduct activities that maintain and develop legislation favorable to philanthropy.
- Enlist, organize, and support members to achieve our purposes.
- Foster international cooperation, knowledge exchange, and education among fundraising professionals worldwide.
- Use all necessary and proper means to accomplish our purposes.
- Provide a valid and reliable certification program for fundraising professionals.
Learn more about AFP's Vision and Mission.