Creating a Vision for AFP in Canada
(May 22, 2012) The new publication AFP eWire Canada is just one example of AFP’s focus on serving its Canadian membership. The AFP in Canada Strategic Plan Task Force, spear-headed by chair Derek Fraser, has developed a two-year strategic plan in alignment with AFP goals, but that compliment Canadian experience and need. The seven key Canadian strategies are as follows:
1. Goal: Knowledge - Developing superlative practitioners Develop an inventory of fundraising educational offerings available throughout Canada that indicates experience level in order to better understand what is available and identify education gaps that need to be addressed.
2. Goal: Strengthening the Profession - Educating external audiences Create relevant tool kits for chapters and national leaders of AFP in Canada to use within their own organizations as well as external messaging at the grassroots level in these communities.
3. Goal: Advocacy and Public Policy - Shaping public policy Build a meaningful relationship with government, through education, which is built via two-way communication and then develop a process for information dissemination to chapter leaders and members.
4. Goal: Optimal Value - Enhancing the member experience Develop an easily accessible and navigable area on the AFP IHQ website that is devoted to Canadian specific resources, in both official languages, to enhance member value. Strategize where additional AFP chapters should be formed within Canada
5. Goal: Advancing Diversity - Establishing a diverse profession The Canada Council will liaise with the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy - Canada, AFP Greater Toronto Chapter and the AFP Ottawa Chapter as they have received a Provincial Government Grant to explore the role that AFP can play in assisting the not-for-profit sector more strongly embrace and model diversity.
6. Goal: Outreach - Supporting the international community When an opportunity arises, work in conjunction with the AFP International Development Committee to complement efforts concerning international expansion.
7. Goal: Succession - Preparing for the future Work in collaboration with the AFP Collegiate Chapter Support Subcommittee to investigate the best model for engagement with collegiate members in Canada.
Each member of the seven-person, geographically-represented committee has been assigned one strategy. Local ad hoc committees are being formed by the committee members to create tactics for each defined strategic area. Next steps will be announced in the summer.
For more information on the task force, contact Derek Fraser, CFRE, senior associate, Ross W. Marsh & Associates, at email@example.com.